News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

disappointed with Bachmann

Started by ve5wil, May 25, 2007, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ve5wil

just getting back into railroading, I figured I'd go with the spectrum Acela... dumb me , didnt read any reviews.  Well right out of the box,  the one engine would not couple properly with anything. the gap in the hook is too narrow.

According to their service dept I can get it replaced at my cost.  Real fair to have to pay for a manufacture fault.

Only 3 days after I have had the train, the power car just sits there and lights up , wont move at all, even with help.  (analog engine (KATO) just flies around the track).  I sent this problem to the service reps, and still awaiting a reply...

for a experience in reentering model trains, Bachmann has been less then impressive :( .   I just would like my train to run.

conradin

Can you return the item back to the place where you purchased? :-\

ve5wil

Alas return isnt quite possible. Yes it was from a store, but is was sold through the store's Ebay account. Another further difficulty with this is the train was from a US store, and I am in Canada, so to send the whole thing back would also cost another arm and leg.

oh well, just my luck i guess.  I will hope Bachmann service reps get back to me , so I can at least send the power unit and loco back for what ever repairs are needed.  has to be cheaper then the whole train.

Rob

Your not the only one dissapointed with this set. I sent the whole train back.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,1271.0.html

SWARTWOUT

I've had much trouble with Bachmann diesel locos over the years.  (Not serious hobby quality)  Now i spend the extra money and buy only Atlas or Kato for dependable smooth operation.  Yes, it takes them 60 days to perform service.  They must use one guy up there buried in returned locos.

conradin

Bachamnn diesels are not perfect.  So nowadays I just tend to disassemble the entire diesel and then do some cleaning.  After that the diesel can run like new again.

SWARTWOUT

>:(  I'm sending my 3rd dash 8-U30c back for repair-

no. 1 - sent back circa '93 with $20, ran fine for 10 minutes this month.
no. 2 - sent back replacement for no. 1, ran fine  for 15 minutes & quit.
no. 3 - sent back 2nd loco circa '93 with $20 buck. ran for 15 minutes & stopped dead.

i hope they find the problem.  I love the body shells on these locos.

conradin

Are they made in Hong Kong or China?  The old ones from Hong Kong are no good. 

SWARTWOUT

I guess the real question is where are the locos actually designed by what engineers. 

Some things are designed in the USA by competent quality engineering and just built in China. 

conradin

I do not know who designed the originals.  But the newer generation is re-engineer in Kader's state of the art facility and then ship the prototype off to China to be produced.

The new ones look very similar, or even the same as the old ones.  But under the hood it is a very different animal.  The most famous difference is plastic gear (new) vs metal gears (old).  If you have a chance, open the car up and see the inside.  If not, make sure you check the package that it comes from.  If  it is in the modern all clear plastic case or a spectrum case it is new.  If it is in the white paper box, then you need to check the catalog number.  If the catalog number is a simple one, usually in five digits, it is most likely new.  If the catalog number on the box is a complicated one (eg. 25-3456-34), it is an old stock.  If it comes in a grey or black or blue plastic case that is NOT a spectrum, it is old stock.

Buy the rolling stocks, they are pretty much the same quality as the new ones, if not sometimes better. Stay away from any old stock locos unless you are into collecting and like to leave it in a display case..although some of the older one is way too ugy aesthetically to be even be put on as displays in a set.

ve5wil

Looks Like Bachmann surprises me again... for the good.  After sending my letter of disgust with the products  (due to my power car being dead), I hadn't recieved any word from them.  Imagine my surprise when I went to get my mail today, and low and behold, a new power car.

Ok, I will now say I am only mildly disappointed with Bachmann, and there is some hope I may continue to purchase more from them in the future.

Wil