News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peter Witt Streetcar

Started by dkmoss, August 18, 2010, 11:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkmoss

Has anyone had problems with the streetcar not working with a Lionel CW-80 transformer?  I just got the Chicago Surfline version and it would not do anything but light up and sound the bell with the Lionel transformer.  At first I thought there was another problem with the streetcar, but I got it to work okay with a MTH and a K-Line transformer.

dkmoss

The explanation that I just received from Bachmann service was that the Williams line only runs well on 90 watt transformers.  I find this hard to believe since I have been running other engines on less wattage transformers for more than 12 years.  In fact the K-Line transformer that I got it to tun on was only 40 watts and the MTH transformer was only 75 watts.  Could it be that it does not like the Lionel CW-80 transformer because of its internal electronics?

dkmoss

I just got through running some more tests of my own and found that the streetcar runs fine on other Lionel CW-80 transformers.  I apparently have one bad transformer that I initially tried to run it on.

Bachman service has been a great help and was even willing to get it shipped back to them to check it out.  I must give them a high rating for their quick response.

Thanks Bachmann/Wiliams

phillyreading

The Lionel CW-80 has some issues when using it with MTH PS-2 equipped engines. The CW-80 has some type of differant electronic output that confuses most MTH products with PS-2 or PS-3 command control systems.
I am a little surprisesd to hear that the CW-80 is giving problems with the Peter Witt streetcar, but it don't shock me knowing the complaints against the CW-80 on other forums, like CTT.

I have the MTH Z-1000 and have no problems with running any Williams with it. The postwar 275 watt ZW is another transformer that I use with my Williams engines, the only problem is high speed take-offs with the GP-9's and not being able to get the bell feature out of True Blast-2 units without an extra sound button added in.

Lee F.

OGReditor

I have been testing the Peter Witt car with a variety of transformers, including postwar Lionel postwar 1033 and LW, MTH Z750 and Z1000, K-Line Hobby Transformer, and Lionel CW80.  The tests were conducted on Lionel FasTrack and K-Line by Lionel SuperStreets (D21" curves only).

As far as the CW80 is concerned, it may largely depend on the vintage of your CW80.  Early CW80s were very problematic when it came to operating trains of different makes.  The newer ones perform more reliably.  Of the transformers I mentioned above, the Peter Witt cars I have operated best (speed control, reversing, and bell functions) with the MTH transformers and the newer CW80.

My full review of the Peter Witt will appear in the Dec. issue of our magazine (OGR).

Allan Miller

phillyreading

I would say that at least a 40 watt transformer is needed for the streetcar, you don't have much for a motor load, because it is by itself & not pulling other cars.

Lionel has made about three runs of the CW-80 from what I understand and the newest CW-80 will work with most locomotives except MTH's PS-2 & PS-3 engines.

Lee F.