News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bach-mann question "Curved switching"

Started by sour rails, May 22, 2007, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour rails

Does Bachmann or anyone else make a turnout where both tracks are curved to the left or right?
Thank you,
sourspeed
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Hunt

Bachmann - No
Peco - Yes
Walthers (made by Shinohara) - Yes

Be sure you note the rail code.

sour rails

Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

r.cprmier

One note on curved turnouts:  Do watch the "run" of the curves.  It is just as important that you do not have two conflilcting radii, as it is that you do not have two conflicting angles on a "straight" turnout.
As an example to what I am saying:  You would not want to run-say-a 36 in. rad curve into a 26in. rad curve without there being some compensating factor, such as an easement that provides a smooth transition between the two.  A little planning and forethought will pay big dividends here.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

I use code 100 NS Atlas flex track for my layout. I have all Atlas Customline turnouts (NS code 100) with the exception of two Peco 'large radius' curved turnouts (NS code 100).

I am happy with the way the turnouts work and have had no problems with derailments. Largest rigid wheel base locomotives I use presently are 2-10-2s and 4-8-2s ... I also have a Spec 2-6-6-2, but of course the two sets of drivers are not rigid.

My son has a Kato UP MAC SD90 which also runs perfectly through all turnouts and at one time I had, for in my 'former HO collection' a BLI AC6000 SP unit which ran through the turnouts without problem as well.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler