News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williamsburg Va.

Started by rookie, August 16, 2010, 05:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie

I will be up in Williamsburg Va. and D.C. areas in a few weeks. Are there some good model train shops in those areas that someone goes to that are good for HO scale stuff? thanks, david

ABC

This is the only place I know of that has a decent selection:
Whistle Stop Hobbies
130 South Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3328
(703)549-4912
There isn't much in the Williamsburg & D.C. area, just RC mostly. Most do not have much of a selection if any trains at all.

jonathan

ABC is correct about slim pickings in the DC area.  However...

There is a wonderful little LHS just south of the DC beltway (495).  Trains Etc. in Lorton, VA.  It's just 1/4 mile east of I95.  They have a website, so you can find the exact address for your GPS, or whatever navigation method you use.

It's the kind of place that has that smell, if you know what I mean... an old Hobby Shop.  Tell 'em Jon Vogel sent you. Won't get you any special favors, but they might roll their eyes for you. Spend some time exploring the nooks and crannies.  It's feast or famine in there.  While they do stock some new stuff to whet your whistle, the real fun is when someone sells them a lifetime's collection and that stuff goes out on the shelves, especially the unbuilt kits!  It's like Christmas, especially if you model past eras.  The modelers desend like flies and it doesn't last long.

Anyway, I like it in there.

I understand the MD side of DC has more shops than we Northern VA guys.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Peach Creek Shops is just off I-95 near Laurel, MD, on the north side of DC.  Excellent trains-only shop. 

Doneldon

ABC-

There is no way one can get from Williamsburg to Alexandria in 20 minutes.  You couldn't even do it in a helicopter, what with the need to obtain take-off and landing clearances.

-- D

ABC

Quote from: Doneldon on August 17, 2010, 10:08:39 PM
There is no way one can get from Williamsburg to Alexandria in 20 minutes.  You couldn't even do it in a helicopter, what with the need to obtain take-off and landing clearances.
You are 100% correct it is about 2.5 hours (this should sound better to you). I typed in the wrong Alexandria or the wrong Williamsburg when I did that search because there is one of each in VA & PA. My apologies. But Alexandria is about 15-20 minutes from DC.

jward

williamsburg, pa is near altoona, even farther from  dc than williamsburg, va. but it IS about 20 minutes from alexandria, pa......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

Quote from: jward on August 18, 2010, 06:49:25 PM
williamsburg, pa is near altoona, even farther from  dc than williamsburg, va. but it IS about 20 minutes from alexandria, pa......
Good work jward, you found out what I did, I knew I typed in Williamsburg and Alexandria; I guess it thought I meant PA since I did not specify VA.