News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 min radius?

Started by Matthew Ginkel, June 23, 2007, 01:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Ginkel

Can anyone tell me the minimum radius of the bachmann 2-10-2.

Hoople

Personaly I'd say 22" radius, if we are talking about HO scale and I know we are, but you could probably get it to scramble around 18"s.

Not to fast though, you'll spill Fireman Fred's coffee.
I can drive as fast as I want. I don't have Fireman Fred.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

Below 22" it's going to look like a turtle on stilts.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Matthew Ginkel

Thats fine, as long as it runs. My outer loop has a 22" radius but the inner is 18 and if it wanted to go into the yard it would have to go through part of the curve.

SteamGene

Do you have a Spectrum 2-10-2 already?
Chief Brass Hat

Matthew Ginkel

No, If I did I wouldnt need to ask. I was gonna order it today so I needed to know about the min radius. Plus all of the switches at my friends house are the 18" (not #4) curved type so I like all engines to be able to negotiate 18" curves just in case.

SteamGene

If you really want a big engine - like the Spectrum USRA light 2-10-2, and it has to negotiate trackwork with radii that small, consider the IHC 2-10-2 instead. 
You will be much happier, I'm sure.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Matthew Ginkel

i already ordered it (i got SAL). I knew MR did a review on it so i looked it up and shure enough, the title even mentioned its ability to go around sharp curves. and it said 18" so im happy.  Sorry if i sounded a little rude in the last reply.

Bojangle

I run a USRA 4-8-2 with sound on 18".  I have noticed a sound that is not on the programming,,kinda like a "groan", When I parked it, the engineer got out, and as he walked away, he was mumbling something about "turtles",  I  haven't seen him since.

Bo

Pacific Northern

Hi, I have a Spectrum 2-10-2 and was also hesitant about acquiring it as I have a mainline with 22" curves and a inner yard and industrial area with some 18" curves. No problems with running the engine.
This engine has a fantastic slow speed. I am also running a  Spectrum 2-6-6-2 which also has no problems with the tight 18" radius curves.
I agree that wider curves would help with the visuals but I have only a limited area for my layout.

Model Railroader did a product review on this engine.
http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=490
Pacific Northern