News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4501 returns

Started by MPSOUTHERN, August 18, 2010, 11:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPSOUTHERN

I understand NS & TVRM are planning to run 4501 on steam excursions again.Anyone have any info concerning when & where these excursions will run?An HO spectrum version of 4501 would be nice.

napa15

Yes Sir! I am really anxiously awaiting some more news of a better time table for these events.  The #4501 Mike is the only engine I have ever attached myself to. It has special meaning to me, stemming back all the way when I was 4 years old. That excursion trip behind the #4501 is THE fondest memory of my childhood with my Grandfather. I can not wait until I have the chance to hopefully create a memory like that with my son and daughters, behind the very locomotive I steamed on so many years ago.

I would too LOVE to have a Spectrum #4501. I'd be first in line! There are some versions out there, but seems hard to find.

MPSOUTHERN

Thanks ebtnut for the link to tvrm.I will be checking it for future info.Also thanks to napa15 for sharing your memories of 4501.While I never got to ride behind her I do remember when I was about 10 climbing up into the cab with my dad to look around while the crew was eating lunch.They were using paper plates and when they had finished they opened the firebox doors and threw in their trash.I will never forget seeing firsthand the awsome energy that drives a steam locomotive.Perhaps next year many people will be talking about their experience of riding behind 4501,myself included.Thanks again for the replys.

ebtnut

Those of us of a certain age remember well 4501's first excursions back in the early 1960's (1964, if memory serves).  When the SR/NS steam program hit high gear, our local NRHS chapter was one of the co-sponsors of the trips out of the DC area, generally to Front Royal or Charlottesville, VA.  I got to ride in the cabs of 4501, 2716, and 611 in those better times.  We had it real good here with steam on SR/NS and the Chessie Steam Specials with 614 in those days.  4501 had one of the loudest whistles I've ever heard. 

napa15

Man, if I could get a ride in the cab of the 4501 I think I might be set to go on in to the big railroad in the sky! :) LOL.

Another interesting tidbit about this locomotive (and I know I'm leaving out details I don't know info on) is that she was set to be scrapped but was bought instead by a private citizen for I think $5,000. He was the founder or chairman of the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (something to that effect). And then ran her out of that establishment. I also believe he willed her to the museum upon his passing. I just found it amazing that $5,000 purchased that locomotive, even though it was in the 60s. I can't buy a decent motorcycle for that price these days. :)

MPSOUTHERN

While visiting Strasburg,PA last year I purchased a VHS video entitled "THE MAJESTIC MIKADO"(copyright 1986).It has footage of 4501 working for the K&T(as#12) & hauling 650 ton coal trains through 20 degree curves & up 3.5% grades.In 1948 K&T needed more power so they purchased 4501 from the dead line at Southern`s shops in Princeton,Ind.In 1964 Paul Merriman traveled to Stearns,KY and did indeed pay $5000.00(plus $2000.00 for spare parts)for #12(4501).Two years later he leased it to the Southern and on Sept 5 1966 she pulled 11 cars & 700 pasengers on a round trip from Richmond,VA to Keysville,VA.The video also shows an excursion sponsored by the "Old Dominion" chapter of the NRHS on Aug 10th&11th 1985 repeating that same trip that started it all in 1966.Perhaps ebtnut recalls these trips also.One very good book I have & would suggest reading is "Steam`s Camelot"(copyright 2000 TLC publishing).It talks about all the steam engines used by the SR/NS for their steam excursion program.

napa15

Awesome info. I remember now seeing his name that it was Paul Meriman. :) Thanks for the video and book info too. I'm going to get that book.

ebtnut

I never rode the Keysville trips.  Richmond was a 3 hour drive from here, and we had all those trips out of Alexandria over the years, with every loco the Southern ran.  When you think about it, it was quite a list -

2-8-0's 630 and 722 (former ET&WNC, former SR)
2-8-2 4501
2-8-4 2716 (former C&O) - Bill Purdie's comment to me: "The best damn steam engine I ever ran".
4-8-4 611
2-6-6-4 1218
4-6-2 750 (former S&A)
4-6-4 2839 (former CP)
2-10-4 610

There was a temporary visit by ex-CP 4-6-2 1238, which substituted for a couple of trips while one of the other locos was ailing. 

2-8-4 NKP 759 also visited the N&W's Shenandoah line back in about 1969.  I was away in the Navy back then, so didn't get to see her on that trip.  I believe she blew a cylinder head on the return trip. 

MPSOUTHERN

Wow!Thats quite a list.I guess that shows one advantage of being a member of a local chapter.My cousin was a member of "HEART OF DIXIE" back in the 80s,and she mentioned riding the cab once between BIRM,AL & CHAT,TN(I think it was #2716,but I'm not sure).A cab ride in just one of those engines would make any steam fan happy.I rode behind 610,611&1218(of those three,1218 was my favorite for it's size & power),and I'm looking forward to riding behind 4501.And as you can tell by the replys,so is napa15.So what about ebtnut?Of the ones you listed,is there one you consider to be your favorite?And if so,why?Do you know why 2716 was Bill's favorite engine?

napa15

You bet I'm looking forward to it. Honestly, it will be very emotional for me personally. I loved my Grandfather very much. We had a very special relationship, and trains (specifically the #4501) were a big part of that.

Speaking of Heart of Dixie (Railroad Museum in Calera, AL), my Grandfather used to be the Safety Officer there. I don't know right off how long he volunteered there or even exactly what his service dates were. But I remember vividly as a young man going with him on Saturdays to downtown Birmingham, AL to a small yard near the Amtrak station where they worked on restoring passenger cars (and others I'm sure). This would have been around 1975-1977. My family and I still go the the Heart of Dixie several times a year, to take the kids to ride Thomas, The polar Express, and other standard rides.

ebtnut

If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be 1218.  Nothing grander than seeing a big articulated bark up a grade with a good load, and yet still have the ability to run fast on the level.  4501 is a sentimental favorite, being the first big main line loco I had experienced since I was a little kid. 

Bill didn't elaborate, but I'm guessing that the combination of power to spare and speed capability won him over.  I got a long ride in the cab between Charlottesville and Manassas and I noted that once out in clear territory Bill just pulled the throttel all the way out, and controlled the speed and power with the power reverse.  On the flat, the gear was down near center, with the steam working at full expansion.  As we approached a grade, the reverse got pulled back to allow longer cutoff, feeding more steam for each stroke.  Quite an experience.  She also rode quite well.  I've been really bounced around in some loco cabs, even a moderate speeds. 

RAM

What would be great to see would be double heading Santa Fe 3751 and 2926 in 2012.  It may never happen, but we can dream.

MPSOUTHERN

I wonder how many tickets AMTRAK would sell if they would sometimes run steam.They could still use diesels for HEP & protection,but put steam on the point.I don't think 4501 could attain the speed required by AMTRAK for the CRESCENT,but I could see 844 on the SUNSET,4449 on the STARLIGHT,3751 on the CHIEF.I am not familiar with 2926,but it sounds like one of S.F.'s HUGE 4-8-4.Once while northbound on the CRESCENT at TUSCALOOSA,AL.,both diesels shut down.When the southbound arrived they put one of theirs on our point.We did not get very far.Finally N.S. sent a freight diesel to rescue us.We arrived in ANNISTON,AL,with four diesels and three hours late.I could not help but think that if we had 611 or 1218 or some other big,heavy steam engine on the point that would not have happenned.

ABC

Mpsouthern, we would all like to see steam, but there are too many problems with this, the biggest one is money.