2-6-6-2 and DCC install and removing capacitors and lights.

Started by Pacific Northern, August 25, 2010, 08:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

I saw your 2-6-6-2 photos for the circuit board and I have a question.

( Your photos attached)

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/b-mann2-6-6-2/b-mann2-6-6-2.html

Is there two or three capacitors?

My question is concerning the capacitors. There are two capacitors on the circuit board each marked 104 and they are clearly marked as C1 and C2. However, there is what appears to be a third also mounted on the board as well. It is marked as 105 and there is a plus and minus sign next to it.

As it appears to be the same size and is also colored yellow and has the two prongs(legs) I thought I should check. If this is not a capacitor what is it?

Also it is impossible from the diagrams to tell if this engine comes with a bulb or a LED, can anyone advise me on it. Does it need to be changed or modified when adding a DCC decoder?
Pacific Northern

VTBob

with a Lenz decoder, I cut the C1 & C2 capacitors & left the LED1 capacitor in place & it runs just fine.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Pacific Northern

Zytx, thanks for the quick response.

So the third item is a LED capacitor and does not require severing the connection.

I then assume that the 2-6-6-2's are equipped with a LED and not a bulb?
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

I believe Zytx is correct that the third capacitor is across the headlight LED to keep it from flickering.  As it is not connected to the motor output of the decoder, there is no risk of it overloading the decoder.  I suspect its purpose is to reduce flickering of the headlight.  The 105 is the value of the capacitor, 10 x 105 picofarads, or 1 microfarad. 

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

I added the DCC decoder to the 2-6-6-2 and tested it without cutting the capacitors. The engine ran well but would not react to the throttle. It took about 30 seconds for the engine to stop, or any increase or decrease in speed.

Other than the delay reacting to the throttle,  it ran well.

I clipped the two capacitors and now the engine immediately reacts to the throttle.  Excellent slow speed running, you can set the engine so slow it is just barley moving.

This engine is one of the finest running engines I have seen. I had forgotten that I had the weathered versions of this engine.

One excellent benifit of running the engine without the tender shell on, it allowed me to position the wires to eliminate any drag and to ensure the length of the wire was not a problem.

I just recently ordered the Soundtraxx sound equipped 2-6-6-2. Will see if that engine will run as well as this one.
Pacific Northern