News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's Harry Potter Hogwart's Express

Started by ScottB, August 18, 2010, 11:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottB

I got a Hogwart's express train set from Canada.  I want to convert it from DC to DCC.  I have a MRC 1823 HO DCC DC Dual Sound Decoder I am planning on installing.  I would expect this install like any Decoder for Motion and sound.  This is my first DCC conversion from a none DCC  Locomotive.  Just wondering if there is anything different with this Loco since it is Canadian and although it is brand new, it was made in 2001? (the couplers are different than those I am use to and wondered if there was anything else different?)

Tylerf

Haha because it's from Canada, can't say I've ever heard that before! Our stuff usually costs more because it must be shipped from the US...but other than that it's all the same thing within north America.

THB-DAVE

If Its from Canada then it is bilingual!

Dave

bobwrgt

When you remove the shell, you will find it is the old split frame design, the motor is not isolated. Not realy worth the conversion. You may also have to mill the frame to make room for a decoder.
Try running it first. Mine won"t pull more than the 3 cars that came with it.
Any more cars than that and it starts slipping and woddles down the track like a duck.

Bob

Jhanecker2

I seriously doubt that there is any electrical difference between Canadian & American sets since both counties use 125 VAC  60 hertz  power .  Since  these sets were not manufactured in either country  but made to a specific standard  probably  NRMA .  DC   & DCC  locomotives  are used throught the world  so that their voltage requirements are the same the only difference would be the voltage transformer and rectifier outputs.

Since I have  3 Hogwart's Express  trains ,  I left one tender with the original coupler . I converted the second tender  to the hook  & loop coupler  from bachmann's Thomas type. I converted the third tender to Kadee knuckle coupler  to pull  Maerklin Hogwart's Express cars that I converted to run on DC, and any other knuckle coupled rolling stock. It was a learning experience I enjoyed ,  it is after all your Railroad  Go for it. John II

Doneldon

Jh-

"...the only difference would be the voltage transformer and rectifier outputs."

Actually, the outputs of the various systems are the same; it's the inputs which are different.

-- D

RBMN #425 Fan

here are some notes http://digitrax.com/appnote_bachmannhogwart.php
on installation. and digitrax recommends using DN121 decoder
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

ScottB

It is a split frame design with no wires.  I've got it running DCC.  I isolated the motor, put the decoder in the coal car and the speaker in the 1st car.  It's not the greatest way to do things, but it is working.  Hardest part I am doing next, and that's installing LEDs to work with it.  I am going to try adding fiber optics for putting the lights in.  A bit overkill on this train.  You're right, it probably won't pull more than the original 3 cars.  I wanted the train for a scenic section I am doing. It looked like a better train (on ebay) than it turned out to be.   Biggest disappointment is the Anglia that comes with the set.  The car is NOT HO scale.  Not sure why they would give you a "not to scale" car, but they did.

ebtnut

Actually, the Hogwarts equipment is to scale, just not HO.  It is built to British OO scale, which is 1:76 but runs on HO track.