News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale passenger cars?

Started by sp4449lover, August 21, 2010, 11:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp4449lover

i'm getting into passenger trains now on my layout and i'm looking for n scale passenger cars for the trains. no offense to bachmann but they don't have a good selection of non-amtrak cars and i'm not modeling amtrak. does anyone know where i could find good n scale passenger cars for not ridiculously high prices? i'm on a budget and i can't afford much but i really want to have passenger trains. thanks if you can help

herc driver

ConCor makes an array of n scale passenger cars in various railroad names that are reasonably priced.  They look and run fair, which is to say, the fixed knuckle couplers can be problematic depending on your track, they sometimes come uncoupled from other passenger cars or engines, and the fit and finish of the cars are not up to the higher standards of Kato, Walthers, InterMountain or Rapido Trains.  The Concor cars lack the detailing of these other manufacturers, have no lighting, but are the least expensive.  So if cost is your primary concern, check your local hobby store for Concor cars.  

Unfortunately, Bachmann only makes three different railroads that I know of (Amtrak, Alaska, Santa Fe) and the cars are the same style (high domes) except for their AmFleet cars, which look good but don't run well unless you modify them (see other threads on this topic).  If you're modeling Santa Fe, give consideration to ordering a high dome observation car from Bachmann.  They're the only maker I know of for that particular car and it was used quite a bit in many of their Santa Fe "named trains" through the years.  Also, if you find a Bachmann set (Amtrak, Alaska, Santa Fe) you could paint and decal the cars whatever railroad name you like (assuming that railroad used the high dome cars).

If you really want to run a better looking nscale passenger car, you could spend a little more money for a Kato or Walther's passenger car.  Both perform and look good, have lighting kits available, and are only a few dollars more than a Concor car.  IMHO the top looking cars would be the Rapido and InterMountain cars.  They look great, have a lot of extra detailing, but are more expensive.  I have cars from all the manufacturers I've mentioned (except InterMountain) and frequently mix cars from the various manufacturers together in one consist.  Most of the time, the color shades are slightly different between the car makers, and to me that adds some interest to the string of cars.  Plus, I've found that some of the cars just run better coupled in a certain order because of the tight radius turns of my track.  

You can view most of these nscale passenger car products on any nscale internet retailer website you visit.  The prices vary little from website retailer to website retailer, but sometimes you find some "specials" where you can save a few dollars on a particular car.

Hope this helps!

ABC

I have some Model Power streamlined passenger cars with no roadnames that I could send your way if interested. All you need is to add the decals, they are slver. I got them for about $10 each I think.

jake_iv

Trainworld has a 4 car set of Model  Power corrigated side streamliners for under $40.  SP paint job.  Scalecoat II "Wash Away" (S56) will strip the paint without damageing the cars.  eBay usually has something on their listings.  Rivarossi and ConCor are worth looking at.  Lima - PMI - AHM and Rivarossi all had decent heavyweights and the ModelPower heavyweights were made by PMI/Lima.  The Bachmann Plus heavyweights are good examples of 60' heavyweights but the lighting pickups put a heavy drag on the cars - take them off.  M.B.Klein in Baltimore usually has a fair selection of available cars at reasonable pricing.  The ModelPower heavyweights have poor trucks but MTL or American Limited trucks work with them.  Pennsy heavyweights often were fitted with 4 wheel trucks available from American Limited.  The most common Model Power heavyweights are painted for Amtrak phase 1.  They can be stripped with Wash Away.  Microscale has a wide range of passenger decals.
   The Kato cars are excellent!  also pricey and a limited selection of paint schemes.  Current ConCor cars are limited production paint jobs so check out the web site for availability.
   Depending on the road that you model you might have to use custom painted and lettered cars.  If so, it really doesn't matter which make of car that you get.  You will have to disassemble, strip, repaint and reletter them so go for cheap.  When you reassemble them use MTL, American Limited or similar good rolling trucks that will take MTL couplers.