News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

casey jones 382

Started by ssss666, August 22, 2010, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssss666

Hello I am new to this site. I have a question for somebody. I have a large scale or g scale bachmann casey jones 382 train set without the train box cover. Just the train it's self and the styrofoam. The train looks to be in good condition Could anybody give me some info on this set? Like it's value and age I can't find any info on it. Also Where is the best place to reseach for info on this train?

Pacific Northern

The Bachmann "Casey Jones" Big Hauler set is from around 1990. It's MRSP was $99.99.

You will find the Casey Jones set about halfway down on this Big Hauler web page

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html

It was one of the better built sets when it was first released.
Pacific Northern

ABC

If they would have said the Big Hauler set, I would have known what they were talking about. I searched on google for a few minutes for a "casey jones" set and found nothing. The value of the loco is likely dependent on the prospective buyer and what he thinks the condition is. With some collectible items people like to have all the parts and pieces and the boxes, but for someone just looking for a train set to operate this would not be as important. I would aim for making in the range of $40-$50 after fees and shipping.

Pacific Northern

The Big Hauler sets sell in the $300 to $350 new.

If your set is in good condition and the track and power control unit is packed with the set, you would likely get around $75 to $100 for the set. Used freight cars in the G scale fetch around $10 to $15 and more. The passenger car that came in this set regularly sells for around $15 to $20.

Best time to sell this set is just before Christmas, lots of people seem like to have one of the Big Hauler sets going around the Christmas tree. I have one packed away for that spectific use. Used to take it to work around Christmas and set it up there before I retired.

Pacific Northern

Loco Bill

This set 90039 was sold only at Sams Club stores in 2001. The loco has the latest Version 5 Chassis.  The set contained an ET&WNC flat car with logs, the Linville River Box Car, and Combine #1 with the words "Cannonball Express" on the letterboards.  Since it was a limited run set it was never in the catalog. 

This set was a hell of a deal, at the original price, and when closed out sold for as low as  $65.  I missed it at that price but some of my pals managed to get a few sets.  Most of them repainted the loco and cars.  The box for this was also special and had a picture of Casey Jones on the box front alonf with the story.  A few years ago when I was tracking set prices, I saw these sets sell on Ebay for as much as $395, and the lowest price was $65.

If you are selling these items piecing it out is definitely the way to go since you do not have a box top.   

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products