Identical Train Loco numbers on a train conists?

Started by conradin, May 26, 2007, 09:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I have a question concerning my N scale Explorer set, however I think it will apply to all scales and beyond.

It comes with two EMD locos, one a powered, the other a dummy. They are both exactly the same in scheme, including road number (215).

Can anyone explain to me is this really possible in real life?  I understand that if a train has an A and B units, then maybe it is possible to have both units having the same road number.  But identiccal A units?

What are road numbers painted on the side of a loco anyway?  Are they loco identifications, or a route identification?

GlennW

The numbers painted on the loco sides are unit numbers.

It gets complicated when talking about F units. Depends on the unit & when it was produced. Prewar FT's were meant to run as AB units. A full set could be an ABBA unit with a cab at each end & a booster in the middle. This practice followed into the 1950's. You will have to check on your road to see if & when the locos could be renumbered.

The reason for this gets back to union work rules in effect at the time.
AFAIK the Explorer set uses ATSF F's. You will need a book on ATSF power to see how they were used.

Frankly, I'd want to run the train with 2 powered units up front. You get much better performance out of 2 motors working together.

conradin

So it is possible that in a ABBA formation the loco numbers can be all the same? (215 215 215 215), or as a pair (215 215 205 205), or all different (215 210 205 200)?  Yes, there are SF F9 units.  I am still confused.

Did Bachmann ever sold the F9A and B as a set?  Both running, or one runing plus a dummy? 

I have a advertising paper at the back of an old Hong Kong made Bachmann rolling stock box. It says "N locomotives"  F9 EMD Diesel #6010, F-9 Dummy B #6020, F-9 Dummy A #6030.

I currently run them with an extra GP40 pulling.  But once I put in my EMD SD-45 in additiojn to the GP40 then there is not enough juice on my track anymore

Hunt

Here is the real ATSF F7 number 215 It is a consist of four units.
Photo at http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf215c-ads.jpg
Photo taken in Amarillo TX - 06/26/1973
Shows ATSF F7 4 unit consist of locomotives 215C, 215B, 215A, 215L
215L and 215C are F7A units
215A and 215B are F7B units

An ATSF four unit locomotive consist always is L,A,B,C. For 215, unit 215L is the lead locomotive and 215C is the backend unit. For ATSF if the consist were run in the other direction the numbers in the number boards may have been changed (very rare) and 215C would become 215L but usually 215C would just be the head locomotive during that direction of run. Numbering scheme depended on the Railroad. This is ATSF scheme.

The blue/yellow version of the Warbonnet paint scheme was adopted for freight locomotives in 1972.

conradin

I'm afraid the photo you show is F7A-F7B-F7B-F7B.  I cannot find the cab on the last unit in the photo... ???

If the case of the Explorer trainset, it is F9A and F9A.  Would that meant it should be 215L-215A in real life?

Now that gets me thinking about getting some stickers and put an "L" on the lead loco.

Is it possible to setup a F9A-F9A-F9A consist?  Would that be historically correct?

SteamGene

As mentioned, different railroads numbered their E and F units differently.  My understanding is that originally they were designed as a set and might be only two A units, or an A-B-A unit, or an A-B-B-A unit, but that went by the board early one.  If you have the engine go out on a B unit, you replace the unit.  It's possible to have an A-A-A consist, but not very common. 
The numbers are to identify the locomotive.  Back in steam days locomotives were assigned to certain divisions and remained on those divisions so a specific locomotive would be assigned to a specific train,
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hunt

Quote from: conradin on May 27, 2007, 06:07:08 AM
I'm afraid the photo you show is F7A-F7B-F7B-F7B.  I cannot find the cab on the last unit in the photo... ???
The photo may be as you see it (seems to be that way to me too), may not. Nevertheless, per ATSF locomotive equipment roster the 215, as built, was an ABBA.

Builder – EMD (Electro-Motive Division, General Motors Corporation)
All built during Nov 1949
EMD Builder Number, Model,  ATSF unit/road number
8288,                        F7A,     215C
8287,                        F7A,     215L
8297,                        F7B,     215A
8298,                        F7B,     215B

Hunt

If the case of the Explorer trainset, it is F9A and F9A.  Would that meant it should be 215L-215A in real life?
If ATSF 215 (which was a F7) was run as A-A it would have been 215L - 215C

Hunt

Is it possible to setup a F9A-F9A-F9A consist?  Would that be historically correct?
Is it possible to setup a F9A-F9A-F9A consist? -- Yes
Would that be historically correct? -- For ATSF, I speculate no. Ask the ATSF Historical Society.