News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lightweight or Heavyweight

Started by en4cer, August 20, 2010, 11:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

en4cer

I am venturing into passenger rail, new to me since I live in South Texas and passenger trains are few and far between. I'm confused as to how to determine if passenger cars are lightweight or heavyweight. However, I recently purchased some used passenger cars from my hobby store, three Atlas Rivarossi "Chicago and Northwestern" cars and three Lima cars that have italian decals on them. I also purchased a Kato "El Capitan" set. Anyway, I could use any information on the subject.

Thanks,
En4cer

ABC

Heavyweight passenger cars were very common with steam power up until about the 40's to 50's after which most everything was replaced. The Santa Fe El Capitain set has streamlined cars with corrugated sides if I remember correctly. The C&NW cars are probably heavyweight, but a picture would help confirm my hunch.

mhampton

Lightweights will typically have 4-wheel trucks and the roof will have a smooth arched profile from one side of the car to the other.  Heavyweights will usually have 6-wheel trucks and the roof will have a clerestory running from one end to the other.

en4cer

Thanks for the information, that does shed some light on the subject for me. I think I am becoming a fan of passenger rail all of a sudden.