News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound

Started by rookie, August 26, 2010, 10:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie

Hey guys, if i decided i just wanted to have sound on my dc loco could i just buy a loco with sound and run it on my track and it work? I have a mrc 1500 tech 11 power pack. Would that work? Which models work better for sound? Bachmann, Atlas ? I think dropping in a sound decoder would probably cost around a 100 bucks? Is that right? How much would a decent sound loco cost? just wondering......

ABC

Sound goes better with DCC, but can be done with DC. You can have a friend program CVs for you so the effects are to your liking. Good sound diesel locos start at about $200, but some not as high quality locos can be found for as low as $175. A good sound decoder with speaker and baffle is about $100, while you can buy lower quality decoders for as low as $50 or so. I would strongly suggest at least purchasing a Bachmann E-Z Command System if you choose to have a DCC sound equipped loco, as you will be able to have complete control of all your sound effects and the loco will run smoother on DCC than it will on DC. However beware that DCC sound decoders that are in the $40-$50 range may only be single mode and not work on analog DC.
Bottom line... if you decide on sound buy yourself a introductory DCC system so you can fully enjoy your sound loco. Although if you have a friend with an advanced DCC system he can program many sound to be automatic for you, you cannot toggle the sounds whenever you choose.
Some decoders have special controllers for DC use that control most of the main sound effects like Proto and QSI (Atlas locos) among others. So, keep that in mind when choosing a sound equipped loco.
But, the QSI quantum engineer controller is about $55, which is roughly the price of an E-Z Command system.

bobwrgt

I run DC only and have many sound locomotives.
The BLI Blueline series sounds great , run on DC only. You will need a controller for the sound at around $39.00. The  SD40, C30-7, and SD7/9 can be had for $75.00 to $100.00.
Athearn had several engines with MRC sound/Dcc that ran on DC only. The sound was controlled with a hand held controller(wireless). The conroller came with the engine. Not the best but could be had for $100.00.
The Atlas and Broadway engines use QSI sound with DCC but will run on DC only. Sound is better than MRC  , you will need
a seperate controller for the sound. Still can be had for around $39.00. Do some shopping.
I have purchased several engines for around $100.00- $125.00.
Blueline, QSI and MRC controllers all let you program the sound to your needs. You can use your existing power pack.
For my non sound engines i just purchased  an MRC Syncro Sound unit that is for diesel and steam. It is handheld and comes with a 3in speaker to go under your table or in a box. It gets wired to your power pack and speed sounds keep up with the speed of your engine. You also get several choices of sounds. I am very happy with it.
I would like to purchase Bachmann engines with sound if they would make some that would run on DC only. I have a 40 year collection of engines from all over the world (over 200) not about to convert to DCC.

Bob