Are locomotives in starter sets the same quality as those sold separately.

Started by Frankv, August 27, 2010, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

This is really a question for The Bachmann, but anyone who has something to offer is welcome to jump in. I want to know if the locomotives in starter sets are of the same quality as the (apparently identical) units offered for sale separately. For example the N scale Empire Builder set (160-24009) has a 4-8-4 Northern loco in it, while offered for sale separately in the Bachmann catalog is a 4-8-4 Northern (160-58052). They have the same tender, judging from the pictures. Neither loco is a Spectrum, so unless Bachmann makes lower quality locos specifically for the sets these should be identical items. Right, or wrong? I ask because I often see starter sets offered at hobby stores for not much more than the cost of the loco alone. Thanks for any help on this.

jonathan

Personal experience:

My first 2-8-0 consolidation was from a starter set.  The previous owner wanted the cars, track and power pack, but not the locomotive.  I grabbed it up for cheap.

I liked the loco so much I bought a Spectrum 2-8-0 independently.  Other than the road number they are identical.  Both are my favorite locomotives.

Starter sets are kept low in price to get you into the hobby.  A quality set will leave you wanting more, and more, and more... :)

Can't testify about other companies, but I suspect most sell their sets with the same philosophy in mind.

Hopefully The Bach Man will agree.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jhanecker2

Having purchased several sets of Bachmann train sets and found them more than adequate and  purchased  additional separate locomotives of the same standard DC type they appeared to  operated at the same level .  Making sets in Both DC & DCC it would be a stocking nightmare  to make additional levels of standard locomotives . The Spectrum Series of locomotives are a premium class of much more detailed and complicated models that offer more capabilities .  You really do get what you pay for.  John II

ABC

A Santa Fe FT-A that you buy in a set is no different from one you can buy separately, but they are not as good as Bachmann's Spectrum line of locomotives.

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
Locomotives in sets are exactly the same as the same loco sold separately.
Have fun!
the Bach-man