News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why Bachmann? (poll?)

Started by conradin, May 27, 2007, 01:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I am still new to the hobby.  Bought the first set (Thunder Valley N) from Hobby Lobby because it was on sale back in February, but did not start collecting others until early April. 

I have since discovered about other brands...

I am wondering why anyone here buys this brand, either exclusively, or for the majority fo your collection.

My reason is that once I purchased my first two sets, which were cheap in Hobby Lobby (40% off), I discovered that other good brands are more expensive, even though they are indeed better in quality in my opinion.  The second reason is the different coupling systems that the other good brands use.  Thirdly, there is no point for me to buy other expensive and good brands because the only persons that play with the trainset, other than me running it, is for my cat.  I always run them for like 10 to 15 mins a day, with he and I alone in the room.  He likes to watch, chase and atttack them :-)
Father and Son time I guess...:-)

lanny

Hi Conradin,

I don't know that this will be much of a help to you since I model HO rather than 'N'.

The reason I purchase Bachmann HO locomotive products is basically twofold:

(1) I personally don't feel there are any other mfg. of HO steam locomotives made under the Bachmann "Spectrum" label that equal the quality, detailing, and reliability of the Bachmann Spectrum line of HO products. The price (and the variety of steam models, too) paid for Spectrum quality is still very reasonable in my opinion, when compared with other steam products made by other mfg. I consider them (Spectrum) my 'first choice' for quality steam models and only wish they would decide to produce an even wider variety of steam locomotives.

(2) I purchase Bachmann (Spectrum) because of their warranty and the quality of repair service I have personally experienced from them. I believe their 'limited lifetime warranty' is for all their models, but since I only use Spectrum, can't say that for sure. In any case, I have always been treated very fairly by Bachmann service, which is why I keep getting Bachmann Spectrum steam when my budget allows for it.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

I think this should have been posted on the N scale section.  AFAIK N scale couplers can be replaced as easily as HO scale can be.  Some good N scale modeler should have advice on what you should use as your standard coupler and then bring all your cars and locos to that standard. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

I can only give my impressions for HO scale.

For steam I have mainly Spectrum units. Detail is good, performance is excellent. I do have a few BLI units as well as a few Proto Heritage. The BLI units also have sound so are hard to compare to the Spectrum and Heritage units, for price the Spectrum are very good, the Heritage units on the other hand do run very well but are considerably more expensive.

My favorite running units are the 2-6-6-2's and my Shay engines.

I have never had any problems with the BLI or Heritage units, had some problems which were dealt with immediatley by Bachman with the replacement of the faualty units. I do wish Bachman quality control was better as from reading these colums others certainly have had their share of problems.

For me given the number of Spectrum units I have the incidence is relatively very low. So I will continue to watch the Spectrum offerings and purchase those that interest me.

As for diesel I have mainly Stewart and Intermountain units and a few Athearn, both RTR and Genesis. I have only one Bachman diesel set a Plus series EMD F7 A/B unit and it runs fine.
Pacific Northern

Matt Bumgarner

I like Bachmann because:

a) Their Spectrum steam line (HO) is unrivaled for performance, detail, cost, and value.

b) In addition to these qualities, the offering is unusual and diverse. The 4-6-0, the 4-4-0, the Santa Fe's, are just out-freaking-standing.

c) Diesel-wise, I have the 44-tonner. I admittedly have more of other manufactures of the diesel era, but that is because Bachmann does not offer a match of my specific shortline prototypes. If they did, my choice would be Bachmann.

d) I admire Bachmann's guts for trailblazing. They gambled on  G-scale and ignited interest in the ET&WNC with their set. Their gamble in On30 with the Forney is attracting me to that scale as well. (Now if only they will come out with that On30 ET&WNC set, right Dusten??  :>)  )

e) I appreciate the way Bachmann listens to reasonable requests (eg- putting parts diagrams on this site to aid in project feasibility and repair) and the way they tolerate others as well. I find some of the complaints to be elementary and ludicrious, and more often than not you will hear posts that **** and moan about this or that; however, I have found this organization to be quality from top to bottom.

Now about that On30 ET&WNC stuff...    :>)

Matt Bumgarner

Conrail Quality

For some things, like the E33, I have to choose Bachmann by default. But for other things, Bachmann is my first choice because of the excellent warranty and the reliablitity.  Simply put, I've never met an engine more reliable than my Bachmann F40PH(Even if I cannot understand why they put in strobe lights).
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

I think people but products that they want.  I do not buy $40.00 box cars.  Some people do.  You  have people who thirty years ago got a Bachmann locomotive.  They found out that it was junk.  Thirty years most of Bachmann models were junk.  Things have changed in thirty years, and now Bachmann makes some very good models.  How ever these people still think that Bachmann in junk.  Are there be models than Bachmann? Sure, but I choose not to pay $500.00  when I can get a very nice locomotive from Bachmann for 1/4 that price.

Paul W.

First off the fact that there is something for almost every income level welcomes new comers. I'm not into N scale, but in large scale my first G train was a Bachmann starter set for around the Christmas tree. I have since expanded, and now I purchase the Spectrum series in large scale. I know several folks that have garden RR's that would never consider buying Bachmann, now when you visit them, there are Shays and other spectrum engines popping up everywhere.
As for couplers, my Dad has always been in HO, I do have some engines and yes they are Bachmann Spectrum series, all great runners! But most of the cars are the horn hook type. I simply pick a car to be a transition car and switch one side of the coupler. Example on my log train, the engine has knuckle couplers, the first log car also has a knuckle on one end where it couples to the engine, the other end is still horn hook.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

SteamGene

Paul, you are better off spending the money and converting to knuckle couplers.  Horn hook is not the way to go.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Teamanglerx

I looked at price as the main reason.  I too run N scale and received the Explorer set for Christmas.  I like the use of EZ track and compared to unitack from Kato the it is more cost effective.  While I have had some quality issues they have been few and far between.

paintjockey

When I was into N scale there were many reasons I bought Bachmann stuff. First, the spectrum quality is great. Second, when it isn't great they have a bullet proof warranty. I owned many different makes of steamers and diesels.
I bought one of the "legendary" Kato Mikados  for un ungawdly amount and it was the biggest turd of my fleet. After pulling teeth with Kato and waiting forever they replaced it. I bought a Bachmann NKP Mallet for a very reasonable price (like $90) and it was one  of the front runners of my fleet.
As far as couplers go, bite the bullet and go with the Micro Trains LIne. You can either replace the coupler or the entire truck. Their quality in my opinion (for what that's worth) is unmatched and then you have a standard for your railroad.
I have moved onto Large Scale and now my entire fleet save one are all Bachmann. Again I have had no problems with any of the locos and I feel that the detail is top notch.

Hoople

I buy bachmann because:

1) Great detail
2) Great Value
3) They run well
4) Micromark always sells it for a lot less than other manufactorers
5) They are sturdy. Now I have a little brother, and he's a pain. A few weeks back, he threw a block at my heavy mountain. I was on the other side of the room and couldn't block it, so it hit. Guess what broke? The tender to engine wires, and these had already been fixed before due to him throwing a switch that lead to the abiss...
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

br549

Quality, price  & service (if needed)

Bojangle

First impressions are always important.  Bachmann has quality at an affordable price, and their customer service has been excellent.  I called them for a catalog, they sent it first class and they paid the postage.  I bought 3 UP GP40, 2 - 70 ton , all Dcc for only $42 each.   I have a list of others desired, they will all be Bachmann. 

Their locos are great, the rolling stock may not be as detailed as some like, but as said above, I'm not paying $40 for a box car.  Most of their cars are in the $10 to $16 range.  With the exception of an Athearns hopper my wife bought me, all my stock is from Bachmann. total of 30 cars so far.  If they don't have UP, I just reletter or stick on a UP shield.   

Bachmann listens to their customers. They realize we are why they are in business.
Bo

Paul M.

Quote from: Hoople on May 28, 2007, 12:24:33 PM
I buy bachmann because:

1) Great detail
2) Great Value
3) They run well
4) Micromark always sells it for a lot less than other manufactorers
5) They are sturdy. Now I have a little brother, and he's a pain. A few weeks back, he threw a block at my heavy mountain. I was on the other side of the room and couldn't block it, so it hit. Guess what broke? The tender to engine wires, and these had already been fixed before due to him throwing a switch that lead to the abiss...

I've actually had a very similar experience, except that it wasn't a block, it was a toy car, and it wasn't a Heavy 4-8-2, it was a Light 4-8-2. ;)

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific