News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

WBB GP9 Problem

Started by MB425, August 28, 2010, 08:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB425

Lee,

Thanks again! No TMCC on my layout. Just DCS which is not hooked up to that loop.

On the other hand, I put my other conventional Lionel loco on that loop today just for sh*ts and giggles and what do you know it started the slowing down/stopping thing. Now I've narrowed it down to possible the transformer which I'll swap with another to test. That'll help me narrow it down even further. I don't think the track is the issue nor do I think that a loop of that size (a 27" circle with 4 straights cutting the circle in half) needs more than 1 power feed.

Thanks for the help. I'll continue to work with it next weekend.

phillyreading

It can't hurt to try another power feed to the track. I would agree too that a small size layout should not need that many power feeds but after working with Lionel tubular O gauge track, you will need a lot more power feeds than you think are neccessary!
I had a layout before that I had a switch leg(11 feet long) that constantly gave me problems; I put four power lockons to it, replaced some of the dirty looking straight sections, even used outside rail to rail jumpers with the track next to it. Finally I installed long sections of new straight track, about 40 inch sections(equal to four regular straights) and that helped the problem.
Another overlooked problem is the size of the wire, 16 AWG would be the smallest wire that I would use.

Lee F.

MB425

Thanks again Lee. Wire is 16 gauge and I may try another feed to see what happens. I also have a little copper wire trick I'll try with the track as well.

Thanks again!

r0gruth

I have ,apparently,a rather odd situation.I have 6 Lionel [post war,modern,conventional,TMCC],8 Williams,2 K-Line,1 K-Lionel,1 Atlas and1 RMT locos.
All of them ran the first time they were put on the track.None have needed any repairs.I do not have any MTH so I have no comments about them.They do not seem to be popular in my area.I have not even seen an MTH loco.None of my locos cost over $300.00.I do have a layout.

My first Williams loco frustrated me quite a bit when I first got it.It would go about two inches and stop.It was not the loco.It was a transformer that was not strong enough for the loco.Changing the transformer solved this.Only problem I have had with locos.That does not count ones caused by me.
Roger

phillyreading

Quote from: MB425 on September 08, 2010, 01:20:09 PM
Thanks again Lee. Wire is 16 gauge and I may try another feed to see what happens. I also have a little copper wire trick I'll try with the track as well.

Thanks again!

I would like to know about your copper wire trick, I have been around O gauge trains for over 20 years and know a lot about wiring in residential buildings.

Lee F.

MB425

r0gruth, thanks for the reply.

Lee: Use copper wire and strip all insulation off. then slip it between the insulators on the center rail of your tubular track at the joints. Make sure the wire is long enough so that it adequately bridges the gap. It's nothing fancy but I've found it to work.

phillyreading

Quote from: MB425 on September 14, 2010, 10:56:01 PM
r0gruth, thanks for the reply.

Lee: Use copper wire and strip all insulation off. then slip it between the insulators on the center rail of your tubular track at the joints. Make sure the wire is long enough so that it adequately bridges the gap. It's nothing fancy but I've found it to work.

That is about the same result when you solder the rails together, makes better contact.

Lee F.