News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multiple Power Sources

Started by Ogrecamaro, August 28, 2010, 11:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogrecamaro

I am looking for help on how to hook up multiple "transformers" to N scale track.  I am new to building a model railroad layout.  My experience is limited to just putting the track together in a circular layout.  I know have grand kids and am looking to create something special with them.  I need help trying to better understand how to best hook up power to the track and track accessories.  I currently have some EZ track and some misc Atlas track.  I don't know which is better for building a layout.  Right now just have an oval out of the EZ track with one power source.  Seems to have some spots where the loco does not get a "good" connection and either slows or stops pending on how much power being supplied.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!! 

ABC

It sounds like your track or locomotives need to be cleaned, try cleaning the track and locomotive wheels (including tender if applicable) with track cleaning solution and a non-fibrous cloth. If that does not work you can soldier additional feeder wires to the track, but this is not necessary with a small oval and should only be needed if you have a larger layout. Either Bachmann E-Z Track or Atlas Sectional (or Flex) Track will do, but if you don't want to have to ballast the track and put cork under it, you should go with the Bachmann track which does not require any work except connecting the joiners. Most importantly whatever you do, do not hook up multiple transformers as this is dangerous and could cause potential harm to persons and will cause damage to your locomotives to the effect that they will no longer work. If you opt to isolate your track into multiple sections then you may use multiple power sources, but do not have more than one hooked up to any given section.