2010 National Narrow Gauge Convention....any news?

Started by MarK T, September 01, 2010, 10:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarK T

All,
Wasn't there talk of possible new releases being revealed at the NNGC going on in ST Louis this week 1st - 4th?  Anyone hear anything?

Mister Lee

The latest from Lee Riley is that the Porters are being reissued in DCC versions, but you may find that to be old news.

jpipkin

I just got back from the convention.  No new product announcements, but On30 continues to grow in popularity and the future looks very bright. 

Interesting feature of the new Porters with sound.  They use a new technology that turns the entire cab into a "speaker."  No traditional speaker is used.  The overall detail and drive train is improved.

There was a great little Davenport 30" gauge 0-4-0 at the National Museum of Transportation.   Sort of like finding the holy grail of On30. 

Jim

JohnR

Mr Bach-man -

What's this fancy, new, non-speaker technology in the new Porters??

-John

max (uk)

Quote from: jpipkin on September 05, 2010, 11:52:12 PM
They use a new technology that turns the entire cab into a "speaker."  No traditional speaker is used.

I'm guessing the cab is used as a baffle from what you're saying.

'Sounds' very interesting. I intend to get one of these to see how it works!

However, doesn't this mean that if you replace or modify the cab, this will effect the sound quality?

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The device is called an exciter, and it is mounted right next to the cab wall, allowing for cab replacement.
At least that's how the sample looked to me...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hamish K

Dear Bachmann

That new technology sounds interesting. But I hope it doesn't mean that we will end up with only sound versions of locomotives. I have no problem with sound being available for those who want it and are prepared to pay for it, however I don't want it and am not prepared to pay for it (the new Porters are listed at 50% more for sound).

On another matter - is there any chance of announcements of brand new ON30 items prior to the NMRA convention nest year? I guess the next opportunity would be iHobby in October. I can't say I am hopeful as ON30 seems to be getting low priority from Bachmann now.

Hamish

the Bach-man

Dear Hamish,
The new Porters will be available with or without sound.
Not sure when the next announcements will be made.
Have fun!
the Bach-man