News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

shay trucks

Started by fosterte, September 02, 2010, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fosterte

Here is one for the Bachmann! I have an old 36 ton Shay with all the problems associated with the original trucks. I have asked Bachmann UK for the die cast trucks as well as two stockists. All say the die cast trucks are not obtainable. I have been offered the plastic ones. Are these now any better? How is it that I see Shays advertised with the die cast trucks but no-one seems to have them as spares - even Bachmann UK?  I think they to be fair said they may get some in but not sure when.

darkdaniel100

Have you thought about importing from the US ? I reckon youll have far better luck . I find it hard getting hold of the locomotive I wanted in the UK so pretty much all of my bachmann locomotives have ended up from the states (Climax,K-27,2-6-6-2,ForneyHeisler) .

Just my 2pence worth

fosterte

I  have now done just that and imported from the US at a good price and quick delivery. They are now installed, but I have a bit of a problem. When in the carrying box upside down or up the right way supported under the ashpan - wheels not on the rails, the lights work and it all works fine. When put on track, I can't get it to move. Now, I am not using a normal controller, but one of two different electronics lab power supplies. One should give 15V at up to 4 amps, the other up to 30 Volts at up to 2 amps. Putting a meer across the wheels in any position shows some resistance but not much. Is it possible lab. supplies are not man enough? Just as an aside this thing must weigh about 12 lbs with the die cast bogies and the weight in the bunker.
I am leaving the above in place to assist others as I have now sorted the problem. I re-checked my installation and had one truck running in the opposite direction to the other !!! Doh!!

ward h

fostert,
Do you mind sharing where you purchased the trucks for your shay? I just purchased the 36 ton shay this weekend and plan to convert to the metal trucks.

Thanks

Ward

tac

Quote from: fosterte on September 02, 2010, 02:41:23 PM
Here is one for the Bachmann! I have an old 36 ton Shay with all the problems associated with the original trucks. I have asked Bachmann UK for the die cast trucks as well as two stockists. All say the die cast trucks are not obtainable. I have been offered the plastic ones. Are these now any better? How is it that I see Shays advertised with the die cast trucks but no-one seems to have them as spares - even Bachmann UK?  I think they to be fair said they may get some in but not sure when.

I have to say that calling Bachmann UK in Leicestershire would be the very LAST place on the planet that I would contact for any 1/20.3 spares.

Shays have had modern metal trucks since around 2002 - if anybody in UK bought a so-called NEW Shay and it has plastic trucks then I would be taking right back to the vendor and use it on his forehead.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

fosterte

The Shay I have was second hand, but didn't seem to have done much work but the trucks had done the usual dis-integration around the screws and the sprung ball pickups plus of course all the final drive gears had split. As to my source of supply, I received mine from Hobbylinc based in Georgia. On hunting around there may be cheaper suppliers, but they may not be in stock.

Anctmariner17

Speaking of Shay trucks, where might I down load a diagram?  I looked on this site but all I could find was the 55 ton diagram.  Is it the same one?

Jon D. Miller

55 ton uses the exact same power blocks/trucks as the two truck 38 ton version.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

slmackay

I'm coming into this discussion as a new 36 ton 2 shay owner.  Picked up the Loco on e-bay.  It looked to be in pretty good shape, but when I opened the trucks to lubricate them before running, I notices what looked like broken plastic spacer [/img]parts between the spring contacts.

The truck housings look to be plastic, so maybe I have the early dreaded plastic trucks mentioned in this thread.

I was hoping to get some expert advice on whether the spacer parts can be replaced by me, whether I should send the loco in to Bachmann for service or whether I should buy new trucks and go from there.

I took some pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them here.[/flash][/img]

Tom Lapointe

slmackay, I had similar problems with 2 of my older 36-ton Shays (I had both the Ely-Thomas #5 & Pardee & Curtain #11 versions).  Best bet is to just "bite the bullet"  ;) & upgrade to the newer, metal frame trucks.  I haven't priced them recently (last time I bought them they were $109 / pair from TrainWorld), but you'll save yourself a lot of grief vs. the older trucks (I had fractured pickup housing issues on both of my older Shays).  I currently have 4 Bachmann Shays   ;D on my roster - the 2 older 36-tonners, both now retrofitted with the metal-framed trucks, the newer "38-ton" steel-cab version, & one of the 3-truck Shays.  I have had flawless service from the metal-framed trucks  8)  (even in such abusive service as snow plowing).   :o  My 2-truck 38-tonner is one of my most reliable locos; only substantial problem I had with the 3-trucker was the original (relatively fragile) wiring harness between tender tank & engine (Bachmann's since beefed them up, my 3-trucker was an early one, I rewired it with telephone plugs & jacks).  They're the backbone of my freight motive power roster.  ;)  Tom

slmackay

Thanks Tom!  I appreciate your advice and the depth of your experience with the issue! :)

gwfan

I have had good service from TrainWorld. tel; no. (if you have Skype!) is +1-718-436-7072 or emailorders@trainworld.com. Last time I looked they were charging about $110 plus postage of course. You might have to pay VAT when it arrives. Chris
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22

Mike M

I just checked Trainworld and the trucks are $159.99
Mike