News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Taking Apart The Durango & Silverton

Started by James The Red Engine, January 21, 2011, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James The Red Engine

Hello there,
I have 4 engines in my G scale collection and right before Christmas last year I bought the Durango & Silverton set.  This train runs backwards where as my other engines run forwards.  There's no direction switch on the engine so I have to take it apart and reverse the wires on it.  Does anyone know how I can take the engine apart to reverse the wires without the risk of damaging something?

-James

Loco Bill Canelos

James,

Are you sure there is no switch?  All the Big haulers I have seen have it located behind the smokebox door.   There should be two switches, one is for the smoke unit and the other is the polarity switch.  It may be marked NMRA on one side and LG or large scale on the other, but I don't have one in front of me right now.  When you find it flip it to the other side and try your engine again, it should be OK. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

on30gn15

James, what are the brands and types of the other engines?

As a general rule, the international practice for track polarity for G is opposite of NMRA general practice of forward when right hand rail is positive.

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on January 21, 2011, 02:06:49 PMAre you sure there is no switch?  All the Big haulers ...
The train set Big Hauler 4-6-0s I have and have seen do not have that; all they have is a smoke switch.
Anniversary edition 4-6-0 do have the polarity switch.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Quote from: James The Red Engine on January 21, 2011, 11:31:09 AMDoes anyone know how I can take the engine apart to reverse the wires without the risk of damaging something?

First off, we are talking the 4-6-0, right?

No, not without risk, there is always risk. But with minimal risk, yes. I have one dismantled right now for a bit of kitbashing and detail adding.
Taking apart Anniversary Edition 4-6-0 is rather more involved on account of extra details than the train set locos.

Here's what's under the boiler, save for smoke unit which is screwed to boiler molding under stack.
Remove weight for access to motor.

And the motor.
Apologies for the blurriness, my hands are cooperating today a little less than usual.

later, Forrest

on30gn15

You'll also have to take the bottom plate off and deal with the mechanical guts down there to allow access to motor, and that's a hair on the more involved side.
This is actually an Annie I had apart last year. Not in the mood to take apart the D&S Big Hauler right now.

later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry about that, I did mix up the Annie & Big hauler!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

James The Red Engine

Well, I took the bottom plate off the locomotive and switched around the wires on the brass pickups.  Now the engine runs the same direction as all my other ones do when their running.  Thanks everyone. :)