News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plans for labor day weekend?

Started by jettrainfan, September 02, 2010, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Girlfriend and I went to The Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum in Shelburne, MA.

http://sftm.org/

Short ride on #10. The digital camera I used does not do too well with videos. Still trying to find a camcorder that will not break the bank and do almost as good as the older video cameras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7_L32xMdo

Not a very long ride but the town is a nice area. Rode the hand car. Burns off the calories. You know very quickly when starting up a grade.
The museum safety rules do not allow one person to ride backwards on the hand car. We were both on the same side facing forward during the ride. The operator had to stay on the car even when sitting still. Rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA8W5JG__nU

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

I went to visit my dad for part of the weekend. After I got home, I replaced a busted tender truck on an IHC mogul and did a little more break-in running of my "new" "vintage" (late model, can motor) Mantua Pacific, along with four truly vintage (early to mid 1960s) passenger cars.

Joe323

I began testing the new turnouts that will replace the old broken ones.  As I stated in a previous post my layout is coming down to make way for carpeting in the train room, so I'm taking advantage of the down time to do some ROW improvements most notably replacing steel track with nickle silver.

Guilford Guy

So Jonathan, when do you start on the B&O T-4 Mountains! Obviously their B&M heritage means nothing to me and I'm not imploring you to model one based on that one bias...  ::)
http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s5651amm.jpg
http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s754.jpg
Alex

pipefitter

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on September 07, 2010, 01:43:04 PM
... did a little more break-in running of my "new" "vintage" (late model, can motor) Mantua Pacific, along with four truly vintage (early to mid 1960s) passenger cars.

What kind of cars are they Jeff?

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

jonathan

Alex,

I'll start a thread on my B&O Mountains in the near future.  Couldn't manage the T3 or T4.  Working on the T and T-a #5500 & 5501.  Turning out harder than I imagined.  Probably should have, granted your wish.  If only I had known... :)

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  There's always the chance I'll find another unopened Spectrum Mountain at the next train show (for a really great deal).  They really are quite an attractive locomotive.  Perhaps a T-4 is possible.  Hmmmm....

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: pipefitter on September 07, 2010, 04:50:21 PM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on September 07, 2010, 01:43:04 PM
... did a little more break-in running of my "new" "vintage" (late model, can motor) Mantua Pacific, along with four truly vintage (early to mid 1960s) passenger cars.

What kind of cars are they Jeff?

Robert

Mantua/Tyco's usual streamliners. I'm not sure how long they are in scale feet. The cars are lighted, with passenger silhouettes in the windows. I bought them on eBay. They were still in their original boxes, complete with the cardboard inserts. The train cosists of a combine, two coaches, and a tail car, which Mantua/Tyco included in their larger passenger sets in the early to mid Sixties.

I'm partial to the Mantua/Tyco rolling stock of the early to mid 1960s, as these are the trains of my childhood. I like to pair cars from that period with engines with can motors that Mantua made in the years just before production ceased. In this case, the cars and the Pacific are in B&O livery. It sort of imitates Mantua/Tyco's old "Royal Blue" set, except with an engine with a can motor instead of the old open-frame motor.

Doneldon

J Bar Jeff-

Those old Mantua passenger cars are roughly 70 - 72 scale feet long.  There are three or four other manufacturers who made similar cars in similar sizes, ten inches long, give or take.

I'm bothered by one tying you posted.  You said that you like rolling stock from the vintage 60s.  I'm vintage 40s.  What does that make me, pre-vintage?  Oh, God, I hope not.
                                                                                                                                  -- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on September 08, 2010, 08:31:48 PM
J Bar Jeff-

Those old Mantua passenger cars are roughly 70 - 72 scale feet long.  There are three or four other manufacturers who made similar cars in similar sizes, ten inches long, give or take.

Thanks for that information. I regularly see similar cars by other manufacturers on eBay. I stick with Mantua/Tyco because then I pretty much know what I'm getting.

QuoteI'm bothered by one thing you posted.  You said that you like rolling stock from the vintage 60s.  I'm vintage 40s.  What does that make me, pre-vintage?  Oh, God, I hope not.
                                                                                                                                  -- D

Well, vintages usually improve with age. As long as they don't turn to vinegar. ...  ;)