News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Finding the on switch?

Started by ScottG, September 12, 2010, 11:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottG

I have a g scale bachmann engine and tender.  It is large scale but appears to be a small work engine.   2-4-2 It is the same engine that comes in the 90019 circus set. "the roustabout" just different paint.   I can't figure out turning it on.    The lights are on.   And I've played with the switch in the cab.... I need some help!    Thanks.  Scott

Loco Bill

Scott,  There is no On/off switch on the loco.  If the lights come on that means power is being successfully sent to  the internal wiring.  If the lights get brighter the more you increase the power it means your power pack is OK.   It has been a long while since I have had one apart, you could have anything fron a loose or corroded wire to the motor, or a bad motor.  Try getting to the motor and internal wiring to check things out.   If you hear a humming sound like the engine is trying to run then you may have a jammed gear.   If the motor is running and the loco won't move it is definitely a gear problem. 

Sorry I can't help much, but it is the best I can do with the symptoms so far.  Maybe some one else has better Ideas than mine or had one apart recently.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

ScottG

thank you...took it apart.  the white gear that is attached to the axle is cracked.  is that gear replaceable or should I just replace the axle, wheels and gear...thanks, scott.   I am not even sure if this little guy is worth fixing.  but it seem like a fun little engine.  is is small but heavy.  it has a #19 on it.

Loco Bill

The only 3-4-2 with a No. 19 was the Union Pacific 2-4-2 with tender.  They were made starting in 1989 and remained in the catalog until 1993, Since they are so long out of production I do not think parts are available, based on Bachmann's responses to others with the same problem.  I have the 2-4-2T and it is still going so far, and I love it

Some of our members have reported fixing a split gear using regular JB Weld as opposed to the 5 minute variety, but I don't know how well it held up.  It could be worth a try. 

Good Luck 
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Doneldon

Scott-

I had a 2-4-2 with the same problem a few years ago.  Bachmann was able to repair ir and it still runs like a top.  I suggest contacting Bachmann service to see what they say.
                                                                                                     -- D