News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Durango Questions

Started by Royal Oak Railroad, September 06, 2010, 06:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royal Oak Railroad

::)

I have my eye on a Durango and Silverton "starter set"  for the back yard near Tucson.  The questions arise.... what kind of track is included with the set ( I have looked all over every website known to engineer.) 

And, is it possible to radio control the locomotive.... Not DCC, but buy a radio controlled loco or modify the existing. 

If you have had experience with one or both I would REALLY like to hear from you.

Thanks,  ROR

Dave

az2rail

Unfortunately, Bachmann track is not made for outside running,and does not last long. Going outdoors you will want to use track such as Aristo-craft, LGB, Peco, USA Trains, or Accucraft. These companies have made their track to withstand the sun and elements.

There are a couple of different companies that make remote systems, but whether or not they will fit in your train, I don't know. So I will leave that to others to comment on.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

on30gn15

You need the last 2 issues of Garden Railways magazine - has articles on selecting and laying outdoor track.

Forum Large Scale Central will provide lots of assistance with RC systems.

Magazine has info on same.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Royal Oak Railroad

Thanks Bruce, very much appreciated.   I could have made a serious mistake.  I suppose I should purchase things separately unless I can find a set with suitable outdoor track. 

For on30gn15.... thanks.  Hmmmm, living in an isolated area, chances of finding the last two issues of "anything" are doubtful.  I will go on a quest today.... I suspect you are speaking of June and July, or perhaps July and August.

Dave ROR

az2rail

Nothing wrong with buying sets, just the track is designed more for under the christmas tree, not outdoors.

If you going to look for those Garden Railroading issues, try calling "Roy's Train World" in Mesa, or "Coronado Scale Models" in Phoenix. They both carry the magazine, and I believe they will mail them to you.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

on30gn15

Hi Dave;

Don't know if you are talking the freight or passenger set - can tell you from firsthand knowledge the box the passenger set comes in weighs 26 pounds.
And it comes with a few more straight track sections than the freight set does.

It is possible to get Garden Railways magazine direct http://grw.trains.com/

GR comes out every other month and all this year has had series on starting a garden railway.

Okay, guess the series started April issue, "Part 1; Vision and planning"

June has "Roadbed Matters"; and about selecting plants
August has "How to select the right track and turnouts"; and how to water plants efficiently
October has "How to lay track" and on page 26 starts an article on miniature trees and shrubs complete with zone chart.

We live in a rural town of about 8700 and are very fortunate to have a little hobby shop 18 months old in town.
Beyond that Dave's grocery store and Walmart carry Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman, but not Garden Railways.
So without Mike's store Garden Railways would be mail or a drive to the city.

This is worth looking at on GR's website http://grw.trains.com/for%20beginners.aspx
QuoteHome ยป For Beginners
For Beginners
Getting Started

* Welcome to garden railroading
   * Online station links for 2010
   * Workshop safety for large-scale railroaders
   * Basics of gauge-1 switches, part 1
   * Basics of gauge-1 switches, part 2

Choosing rail for the garden railroad
Some basics of choosing the "best" rail for gauge-1 track
By Marc Horovitz
Published: June 26, 2009

Garden railroad electrical questions and answers
The most commonly asked questions about electricity for large-scale railroaders
Garden railroading/Large-scale railroading terms
Hobby terms large-scale railroaders should know

Right now my "garden railroading" is limited to running between houseplants and cardboard buildings on the deck while dodging the cats. But, hey, ya do whatcha can, and the track from the sets works fine for that - just remember to take it up when rain is coming.

later,
Forrest
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest