News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Swapping Tenders

Started by jonathan, September 23, 2010, 09:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

I write this as a record for those of us modelers who are somewhere in the novice range of modeling skill.

I just swapped out two tenders on my USRA Heavy Mountains (4-8-2).  I found switching out pc boards to be the easiest method for swapping tenders.  The only tools required are jeweller's screwdrivers (flat and phillips) and a needle nose pliers.  A little locktite is the only chemical involved.

I pull the tender plugs from the locomotive using two small screwdrivers, to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the plugs.  The plugs are the weak link in the chain.  I am extra careful with them.

Once you've opened the tenders to be swapped, you must hold the nut that holds the truck screw while releasing the screw (needle nose).  This will release the truck pick up wires.  Next, you can remove the screw that holds the pc board.  On the Vandy Tender, the plugs will take a little manipulation to push them through the gap between the tender and screw bracket.  Be gentle, please.  Also on the long Vandy, you will have to remove the center wheels to get at the truck screw.  I also removed the led bulb, as I chose to replace it with a standard bulb (I like the color better).

The steps are similar (and easier) when removing the pc board from the standard tender.  On both tenders, the pick up wheels are oriented the same way, so the wires can be reattached in the same orientation: black wire to the rear truck, red wire to the front truck.  Just work backwards from the pc board removal and all will be well.  The loctite is for the nut on the truck screw, once you have replaced the wires.  Then things won't loosen up on you six months down the road.

Putting in that tiny screw that holds the pc board to the Vandy Tender will take some extra time (hard to see and not much room to work).  If I can do it, anybody can.  Re threading the locomotive connecting wires should be done slowly.  Again, it can be done.  

I chose to connect the reverse light to the the dummy plug as I am a DC guy.  A diode will make the light come on only in reverse.  A pair of diodes can be had for 99 cents at radio shack.

I read tons of posts about swapping tenders on this forum.  Lots of great info on how to switch wiring to make your original boards compatible.  

With my mediocre skills, swapping pc boards was by far the easiest method to handle.  While it has been written that the long Vandy Tender is compatible with the Heavy Mountain, I found the running characteristics unacceptable when testing.  With the original pc board, the loco would jump start at about 40% power.  It would run smoothly after that.  I lost all the slow running capability until I switched pc boards.  Loco ran perfectly after the swap.  I don't know why...

It took about 2 1/2 hours to swap pc boards, apply decals, apply micro sol and dullcote, connect tender to loco, and test run.  That was my second attempt.  The first attempt took much longer as you can imagine.

With all that has been written, it seems many modelers want to swap tenders to make their locos more prototypical for their individual pikes.  I'm hoping this info will be helpful, and not just another two cents for the pile.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I recommend everyone copy the text to a Word document and save.
You can also save this page to your PC as a HTML document. I do both a lot since sites or messages can go away or get lost.
Good suggestion.
Maybe photos for those who need visual help. Another thought.

Rich

jonathan

In all my enthusiasm to complete this project, I didn't think to have the camera standing by.

Perhaps, if I can work up the nerve, I'll do a little disassembly and shoot some pics.  You know how it is... once you plug the tender into the locomotive, and it's running, you hope it's the last time you have to touch those little plugs.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Congratulations on the tender decoder swap.

Told you it wasn't that difficult.  :)

I've done it many times.

jonathan

Thanks again.  Oh, I have enjoyed looking at the photos of your former railroad.  Hope you can do it again.