HO Roundhouse 2-6-0 Mechanism under small On30 4-4-0

Started by hminky, September 08, 2010, 01:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

The HO Oldtime Roundhouse 2-6-0 mechanism will fit under the inside-frame 4-4-0 with minimal grinding on the boiler.

Harold

C.S.R.R. Manager

That would be a neat loco, Harold.  I also photobashed the mechanism from a Bachmann HO 4-6-0 under the IF 4-4-0 body.  Now if I can just find the time to do the same thing in real life...

I've often wondered what sort of things could come out of the Bachmann factory if they started recombining parts from different locos.

manager

hminky

The Bachmann HO 4-6-0 requires more work to fit under and the driver spacing doesn't have the typical long 2-3 spacing.

Harold

Royce Wilson

PLEASE....post the results of this conversion. we have been begging Bachmann for a small 2-6-0 for the longest. ;D

Royce

hminky

This conversion is a low priority on my list.

It is rather simple. The frame slips into the boiler. There is interference at the front of the gear tower. Either the boiler or the frame have to be relieved. The 2-8-0 frame will fit without any grinding so it shouldn't take much. The boiler lug lines up with the frames mounting hole. The Bachmann cylinder block will fit if the channel on the Roundhouse frame is opened to .35 from .31. The two driver is in the same place so the Main rod won't have to be modified. A back mount and PC board mount have to be devised.

That is the conversion.

I never planned a conversion I had the boiler off and wondered if the frame would fit.

Harold

lvrr325

I think you'll find the IHC Premier 2-6-0 will also fit.  I tried the 4-4-0 version (because I had one handy) under an old static kit boiler that's about the same size as the 4-4-0 and it will work with fairly minimal modifications.  The only advantage it offers is sometimes you run into them at shows pretty cheap, and they're not bad runners. 

hminky

Quote from: lvrr325 on September 10, 2010, 01:21:53 PM
I think you'll find the IHC Premier 2-6-0 will also fit.  I tried the 4-4-0 version (because I had one handy) under an old static kit boiler that's about the same size as the 4-4-0 and it will work with fairly minimal modifications.  The only advantage it offers is sometimes you run into them at shows pretty cheap, and they're not bad runners. 

Motor is too wide.

Harold

lvrr325

Motors may vary on these, mine's a fairly recent purple box issue.  Fit right in the plastic boiler of my static kit and like I said, sizewise is almost identical to the small 4-4-0. 

kcsivils1

The Bachmann HO 4-6-0 requires more work to fit under and the driver spacing doesn't have the typical long 2-3 spacing.

Harold

True, but a lot of 4-6-0s did not have that long spacing between the 2nd and 3rd driver.  The Rio Grande T-12s did but not the RGS T-19s.

It would make for a different kind of locomotive.

hminky

Quote from: lvrr325 on September 14, 2010, 11:32:06 PM
Motors may vary on these, mine's a fairly recent purple box issue.  Fit right in the plastic boiler of my static kit and like I said, sizewise is almost identical to the small 4-4-0.  

Mine was the purple box one. It is the same motor as the old ones, I got an old 2-8-0. It WILL NOT fit into the Bachmann On30 4-4-0 Boiler.

As Judge Judy said "I think or I believe" is not an answer. If you don't know PLEASE don't say anything. Your static boiler ain't the Bachmann.

Quote from: kcsivils1 on September 15, 2010, 12:11:20 AM

True, but a lot of 4-6-0s did not have that long spacing between the 2nd and 3rd driver.  The Rio Grande T-12s did but not the RGS T-19s.

It would make for a different kind of locomotive.

The wide 2-3 spacing is more typical of small late 1890 moguls and would better match the 4-4-0. Not that anyone will do any of this so I really don't care. I just put it out as an idea. The Roundhouse 2-6-0 makes the simplest conversion. I am sure all you armchair guys can "DO" anything you want.

This is why I hate forums!!! That is why I really wonder why I bother.

Harold

C.S.R.R. Manager

Forums are places where you share ideas.  Harold, I would never have thought of using a Roundhouse 2-6-0 mechanism, and I was able to find a really good deal on Ebay.  So I appreciate your suggestion.

And I personally like both the equally and unequally spaced drivers.  I'm wondering if I can find a boiler for the Roundhouse that will allow for a 4-6-0, almost a small version of Sierra Rwy #3.  The collection of loco parts for bashing just gets larger, but that's the beauty of On30.

The sad part is, I can't seem to find time these days to paint a boxcar.  Maybe it will be a long, cold winter.

manager

hminky

kcsivils1

Had no intention of starting a flame war.

Just pointing out that while there were/are lots of 4-6-0s that had the long spacing between the 2nd and 3rd drivers, there were also ones that did not.  The T-19's of the RGS (F&CC) is the class that included one of the most famous narrow gauge 4-6-0s of them all, RGS #20.

As to an HO model that would make a good possible source for a 4-6-0 with the long wheel spacing - though I seriously doubt it would fit the 4-4-0 boiler - is the old Tyco 4-6-0 which in fact, I think was based on the Sierra $3.

I converted one of these in the late 1980s to a Sn3 4-6-0. It worked for a Sn3 bash, not totally sure how it would work for On30 - might need a new boiler in addition to a new cab.

hminky

Sorry you got wrapped into the "no facts" rant.

The Mantua 4-6-0 frame doesn't convert to a mogul easily. Neither the crap open frame or the new can will fit under the Bachmann boiler. The Mantua Ten Wheeler is a point for point match for a Sn3-1/2 SP ten-wheeler made to look like Sierra #3 for the Hi-Rail crowd using the smaller available HO 61" drivers(45" S scale) instead of the 48" on:

Makes a great 55n3 4-4-0:

Yes the rear driver is on the ground in the picture

Harold

kcsivils1

If you are willing to do MAJOR surgery and remove about a 1/5th of the frame and the boiler and figure out how to mount a single lead wheel, the driver spacing looks really good for the Argent Lumber #6.

Of course the balance would be a major issue when finished. Probably a bash only for the most determined and skilled modelers who are more interested in the challenge of what they are doing than anything else - which is fine.

Without having one in hand, how hard would it be to bash one of these for On30? New tender and cab for sure.