News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis

Started by Anthony P2, September 09, 2010, 11:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony P2

i just received my new bachmann Dynamis in the mail yesterday, and today i wanted to test it out. I unboxed it, i hooked it up to a simple test circle, plugged it in, turned it on, waited, and could not get a signal for the controller. then i turned everything off and tried again. nothing. the signal bars just blinked and went up and down. then i tried it again and again and again. no signal. am i doing something wrong? or do i have a defective Dynamis system?
oh and a wired thing is that i tried my newly DCC installed thomas and he ran, at some speed, but not under my control. and when i tried my mikado all it did was "hum" and then it told me i had a short so i re-set it up again. thats when i thought " I need help from the pros"

ABC

Check all your connections and try moving it away from other electronic devices and plugging it in on a different breaker.

Jim Banner

Reading about what you did, I don't see that you installed batteries.  I believe the walk around controller requires batteries to work.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Anthony P2

i put the batteries in. that's how i knew i wasn't getting a signal with it.

*update*- i got it up and running fine. don't really know what i did though.

ABC

Anthony P2

bad news- i keep loosing the signal every time i increase the speed or move. it will automatically turn on the STOP feature if the hand held is looking for a signal (i think) what is happening?

NarrowMinded

Sounds like you may have some dead batteries try some fresh ones

NM

Anthony P2

i put new one in but i don't see a difference. but sometimes i can get a really good signal.

*update* the green LED light in the receiver blinks. nothing else happens, it just blinks. a couple days a go i had it working fine with a strong signal from the command station. i don't know if it's looking for a signal from the hand held or if there is something wrong. please help.

Anthony P2

*update* the green LED light in the receiver blinks. nothing else happens, it just blinks. a couple days a go i had it working fine with a strong signal from the command station. i don't know if it's looking for a signal from the hand held or if there is something wrong. please help.

NarrowMinded

if you have a digital camera you can check the emmitter on your unit by looking at it through the camera on the view screen, the camera sees the light we can't see but then makes it appear on the screen with white flashes

NM

the Bach-man

Dear Anthony,
Since it's infra-red, make sure you're pointing the handset at the receiver. Also, what is the ambient light situation in your layout room? I've had mixed results in bright sunlight.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Anthony P2

thanks Hunt i reset the hand held.

Bach-man - every time i tried to use my dynamis system i was either in front of the command station or pointing the hand held right at the command station.

i tried that camera test and the inferred lights blink in conjunction with the green led in receiver. i put in brand new batteries and it's the same thing. this has happened almost every time ( except 2 times ) i plug in the command station. should i bring it in to bachmann down philly? but the only trouble is getting down there with school and all.  ::)

poliss

Did you read the instruction book?

Anthony P2

that was the first thing i did. even though i read numerous times online over the summer

tiz

Hi,

if you check previous Dynamis discussions you will find "Dynamis on and off" sent by me. I had problem with unit ( new) sent from UK. Unit worked good sometimes, but very often not. I was suspecting something about power supply. My oscilloscope shown some spikes, but only when power supply is open ( without the load). I oppened the unit ( main electronic unit) and found some places to add electrolytic capacitors and try it then. By mistake, I made a short circuit and unit died.

Then I ordered another Dynamis set from the same shop hoping that another unit will solve the problem. The other worked exactly the same. Just there is no communication and green LED flashes.
I was sure then my handheld is not the problem. Went to e-bay and found the good switching power supply with same voltage output. Current can be highier, but prefferably not lower.
That was not expensive medical PS ( new in the box), a bit bigger than original. Since then ( spring 2010) both handhelds and remaining receiver unit worked without single loss of communication!
In the older posts there is one with similar problem, when used 120V power from generator or so. It looks original power supply is sensitive to: Place where is plugged in, neighbouring equipment or current voltage in your AC plugs ( it can vary, in my case Canada 120V +/-  a few percent.)
This is my experience, with very nice product otherwise.

Zdenko