News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Annie Smoke Unit Current & Voltage???

Started by Jim in MO, September 03, 2010, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in MO

I have an Annie that I am installing an Aristocraft Revolution into for control.  Track voltage will be at a constant 22 to 24 volts. 

Can the smoke unit run off of that high of a voltage?

If not what is the best voltage to run it at and what kind of current will it draw?

I'm sure trying NOT to smoke anything that isn't supposed to smoke!

tlnibert

It's been awhile, but I read years ago the 18 was the limit.  I'm rebuilding a layout and I'd like to be sure about the voltage if anyone knows better.
Tom

Doneldon

MO Jim-

Your smoker should put out a prodigious amount of smoke at 24v, for a little while.  Heating elements are subject to early failure when over-stimulated, i.e., given higher than recommended current.  I'd reduce the current in the loco with a resistor or perhaps you can change the voltage with the decoder.
                                                                                                       -- D

Loco Bill

I would recommend no more that 18 volts.  The smoker voltage should be no highr than the voltage at the motor.  if you have gutted the whole thing and will run the smoker directky from the track, the resistor idea is best.   As designed the smoker voltage varies with the voltage to the motor, if in your installation you have not altered the wiring to the smoker you may be Ok unless you plan to run your loco at full speed all the time.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Doneldon

MO Jim-

Your loco will always smoke, moving or not, if it is connected directly to the track and if the track is always live.  You could try putting a switch in the circuit to turn off the smoke when the loco isn't running.
                                                                                                -- D

armorsmith

Jim,

I am not an electronics expert, but you could look into a voltage regulation circuit. I know from one of the engineers where I work they can be had from Newark or Allied Electronics (both online).

Good Luck!!

Bob C.