News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas couplers

Started by jgaynor, September 11, 2010, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgaynor

does anyone know if the couplers used for the thomas cars can be used on other non-thomas car. Specificaly i'm look to use Bachmann track cleaning cars with one of the engines.
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

Chessie Sys. 3022

If they're Bachmann UK cars with the hook and loop couplers they'll mate perfectly. If it's got a knuckle coupler there's a way to stick the hook into the knucle and make it work but it's not reliable. If it has a horn-hook coupler, I have no clue.

StanierJack

Quote from: Justin on September 11, 2010, 07:29:56 PM
If they're Bachmann UK cars with the hook and loop couplers they'll mate perfectly. If it's got a knuckle coupler there's a way to stick the hook into the knucle and make it work but it's not reliable. If it has a horn-hook coupler, I have no clue.

You mean NEM Sockets? I'd suggest buying a UK wagon with them, and then fit one end of it with either Kaydees or E-Z mates.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Make a hook out of a piece of paperclip and attach it to the track cleaner car, then get some miniature chain or some string and use that to couple the track-cleaner car to one of the bufferbeam hooks. Or get some more of the hook-and-loop couplers and attach them to the car's bogies (aka trucks). Or the ends, but it doesn't work quite as well.

jgaynor

found the answer to my question Hornby make a track cleaning car

StanierJack

Quote from: jgaynor on September 12, 2010, 12:42:08 PM
found the answer to my question Hornby make a track cleaning car

It's not the best of designs though, newer versions are alot better.

jgaynor

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on September 12, 2010, 12:32:07 AM
Make a hook out of a piece of paperclip and attach it to the track cleaner car, then get some miniature chain or some string and use that to couple the track-cleaner car to one of the bufferbeam hooks. Or get some more of the hook-and-loop couplers and attach them to the car's bogies (aka trucks). Or the ends, but it doesn't work quite as well.

but i won't have to worry about trying to mickey mouse the couplers together, either that i would have to have a non thomas enging on my son's layout to clean the tracks

Anthony P2

i know dapol makes a good track cleaner. it's motorized and compatible w/ the bachmann Thomas line. but i don't think that you would want to spend $100 on a track cleaner.

jgaynor

not at this time, but thank i'll look into it

RBMN #425 Fan

BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

Michigan Railfan

Another solution is to just get one with any type of coupler, and just have an engine push it. No one ever said it had to be pulled  ;)

jgaynor

shining time

long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways