News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

shay sound

Started by exrail, September 14, 2010, 09:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exrail

Does the ho shay with tsunami sound have the proper 3 cylinder beat?

Pacific Northern

Check out the Tsunami page. The examples are listed here. As I am sure you know the Bachmann Shay uses the 750 decoder

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/tsunamisound.php

Take a listen and you tell us.
Pacific Northern

richg

I have not heard one and the SoundTraxx manual for the steam Tsunami does not spell this out for the Shay. The manual does mention the chuff rate is for two cylinder locos.
You can do a lot of adjusting of the CV's though. Read through the manuals for the Bachmann Tsunami. I do know there is no cam capability for the Bachmann Tsunami. With a Tsunami you install yourself, you can install a cam and those decoders have a "Chuff" cam wire. I have heard the DCC Ready had a cam on the loco but have never seen the insides of the Shay.

I tried to find the Shay diagram but the Techies buried it somewhere.

Rich

exrail

Sounds like a Shay to me.  1-2-3-1-2-3.  Hopefully the Bachmann application will be the same.

hotrainlover

I put this decoder in my Shay.  It sounds like the one I rode while in California.  I can not tell a difference...   Of course I could be bias...  I Love my Shay, with the Tsunami!  I have NOT heard one of the pre-installed units, though...

richg

Yampa Bob use to say, it is your railroad. Enjoy it.
I have never run a real locomotive so have no idea on what is correct. I use what looks and sounds correct from some videos I have seen and heard.

Rich

Pacific Northern

The Soundtraxx web site indicates that the Shay uses the 750 logging decoder, I have a couple of factory installed sound shays and they do sound like the 750 decoder.

I am happy with the sound.
Pacific Northern

exrail

Thomas1911

I installed a micro tsunami in my Shay and am pretty happy with it.  I adjusted the chuff rate CV so that it would chuff about 3 times per crankshaft revolution when running at slow speed.  At higher speeds it fall out of sync, but isn't that noticable since the crankshaft is turning faster.  It could probably be fixed with more CV adjustment, but I haven't been bored enough to sit and monkey with it.