How to identify Chronologically correct cars

Started by TrackusMaximus, September 16, 2010, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackusMaximus

I just got my first set (Chatanooga set from Hobby Lobby) and want to expand but I want to expand correctly and historically.  How do you identify which cars and rolling stock would be time appropriate for that steam locomotive??  Specifically from the Bachman line.

NWsteam

It's really just research. The only cars I could really tell you about is the Norfolk & Western. That's the road I model so its the one I have researched. I can tell you that the N&W hopper that came with your set is not steam era just by looking at the style logo used.

TrackusMaximus

ABC

There is not any one place to look it depends on multiple factors. Just do google searches for the build dates of cars and when they were in service until. And search for the progression of the railroad's logos to see if it fits the time frame.

richg

I do a Google or Yahoo search. Usually find the answer. May take a little time but I find a lot of links to store in Favorites for future reference.

Rich

pipefitter

That steam engine dates from the early 1900's so it would be matched with the smaller cars, i.e. the 40' box cars but not the 52' box cars.

Look at this link: Steam locomotive profile: 0-6-0

And since this is your first set, the important thing to remember is to run what ever pleases you and try not to get too concerned with "rules" That said, if that were my train I would be looking at: (Click on the links above the pictures)

40' Box Cars

Flat Cars with Loads

40' Gondolas

Either of the ACF Log Cars

Ore Cars

40' Stock Cars

You have a correct caboose, and you already have tank and hopper cars. Have you ever been on a tourist railroad with a steam engine? They are a lot of fun :D I have to have a tourist train or two on my layout. Bachmann makes large modern passenger cars that would be very inappropriate for your 0-6-0, however Bachmann makes two types of tourist cars that would look neat with two or three behind your loco.

Open-Sided and Jackson Sharp Excursion Cars

And remember as Yampa Bob used to say, "It is your railroad. Enjoy it." You would only be limited by the number of cars your engine can pull and the amount of track you have. Doesn't mean, of course that you have to run all your cars at the same time ;) Hope this is helpful. Please ask any more questions you have. Folks here on this forum will help.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Johnson Bar Jeff

And if the layout is small and has sharp curves, smaller cars will look better and operate better on it.  :)

Joe323

Have you ever been on a tourist railroad with a steam engine? They are a lot of fun  I have to have a tourist train or two on my layout. Bachmann makes large modern passenger cars that would be very inappropriate for your 0-6-0, however Bachmann makes two types of tourist cars that would look neat with two or three behind your loco.

Interesting Idea I might try it

jward

i don't believe that ore car is a steam era car. pennsylvania had similar cars which were built in the early 1960s and ran into the 1990s.

the steam era ore cars would be those put out by roundhouse, and model power (metal train.)

you can add to the steam era list, the new 2 bay usra hopper recently announced by bachmann.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA