News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Outside Frame 4-4-0?

Started by Mike_AA9ZY, September 14, 2010, 09:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_AA9ZY

I'm thinking about buying one of these engines, but I noticed that they aren't offered with sound. I may end up buying a 2-6-6-2 instead, just for sound.

My modeling era is pre-depression, (early 20th century) and I'm not certain which engines are appropriate.

mabloodhound

I would think the 4-6-0 would be more appropriate for what you might be doing. http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3268
The 2-6-0 Mogul and the 4-4-0 are also good but you have to add your own sound cards.
I also model 1920.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ChrisS

C.S.R.R. Manager

Note that the outside frame 4-4-0 is officially called "Modern", and is described as being built at the end of the steam era.  That's sometime in the 1940s.  I seem to recall that there were some similar locos built in the 1920s, but that there were some minor differences -- I think the earlier locos had spoked drivers, unlike the solid drivers on the Bachmann model. 

Also, both of the Bachmann 4-4-0s are DCC without sound, although they are as sound-ready as you can get.

Someone else might have more detailed info.

manager

hminky

In the September/October 2008 "Narrow Gauge  and Shortline Gazette" Editor Bob Brown says:

"I found a photo in an 1897 Baldwin catalog of a prototype 4-4-0 that is a dead ringer for this new Bachmann model. It was built in 1891 for the 30-inch gauge Oeste de Minas Railway in Brazil".

The Bachmann prototype:

Has anyone come up with a prototype with solid drivers. Most loco's have some sort of spoking. I always thought Bachmann went cheap on the tooling and just omitted the spokes. I never noticed until someone pointed out they were spokeless.

Modern narrow gauge usually means post 1900.

Harold

Mike_AA9ZY

Harold, that's a nice looking engine.

I may end up getting the 2-6-6-2 though.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The prototype for the OF version was built in the late '40s, and it did indeed have solid drivers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

hminky

Quote from: the Bach-man on September 14, 2010, 10:13:04 PM
Dear All,
The prototype for the OF version was built in the late '40s, and it did indeed have solid drivers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Well, what railroad and where?

Harold

Edit: Sorry, but the spokes and holes in drivers are to make the size of counterweights manageable.

Nick_Burman

I think I have to contradict Mr. Bach-Man... the OF 4-4-0 is a model of Oeste de Minas #21 and #22. They were built in 1891 as per the previous message and substantially rebuilt over their careers. Bachmann's model captures the general look of the locos as they are today (2010). The 1940 date quoted must the the date for the last rebuilding of the locos.

Cheers NB