MTH Z-4000 - melted terminals

Started by jpstrainyard, September 16, 2010, 09:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes:

Anyone who owns/operates an MTH Z-4000 controller may be able to help me address the folowing issue:

I purchased an MTH Z-4000 controller from an EBay auction some time ago. Any time I used it, it would emit a smell like something was burning. Ultimately what ended up happening was that the 2 red terminals for the variable channels burned and melted. I was very perplexed at this and discontinued using the Z-4K as my power supply for my trains. There were no short circuits or derailments.

If anyone can help explain what might have caused this problem, I would be much appreciated.

-JP
Sincerely: JP

richg

If I have the correct manual, it sounds like too much current being drawn.
Sometimes with current flowing, if the connection is not very good, that is some resistance at the plug in point, heat can develop. I have seen a 120vac plug start to melt because the prongs where not plugged in too well and maybe 10 amps flowing in a plug rated for 15 amps. It was a iron for ironing clothes.
You might not be drawing too much current but have poor connections at this point.
From what I see in the manual, this item is a variable transformer.

Rich

OldTimer

My experience is that when a power supply emits anything out of the ordinary such as smell, smoke or flame, it needs to be unplugged at once and disposed of.  Sounds like your e-Bay dealer wasn't too honest about what he was selling.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Bucksco

Sounds like a question for MTH Electric Trains in Columbia Maryland..........

richg

Quote from: Jack Lynch on September 17, 2010, 01:38:17 PM
Sounds like a question for MTH Electric Trains in Columbia Maryland..........

Yeah, Obvious Man just told me the same thing. I did a Google search for mth trains and below is one link you can try. Join the group. Might use the Classic Trains forum or the Model Railroader forum.
Search Google for the MTH site. They will probably have contact info.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/

Bachmann forums are not much for other manufactures items and this transformer is somewhat specialized.

Rich