News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

next version of Indy as a 2-4-4 Forney ?

Started by norman, September 13, 2010, 10:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

Dear Mr Bachmann:

Another large scale mfg has just released their 1:24 scale Forney with real brass domes which I intend to buy.
That is what I wanted Bachmann to produce as their next version of the Indy evolution:
2-4-2 became 2-6-0 and I hoped next would be 2-4-4.

One could kitbash the present 2-6-0 Indy into a 2-4-4 Forney but unless one has the skill of for example David Fletcher the result will not match a factory produced product.

I realise that Bachmann presently has a 1:20.3 Forney on the market but it is too large for those of us intested in 1:22.5 and 1:24 indoor Guage One model railroading. Would Bachmann later produce an Indy sized version of a 2-4-4 open cab Forney using Indy components to model a Baldwin prototype such as the Disneyland Ward Kimball locomotive ?

Alternatively as the Baldwin Disneyland Ward Kimball locomotive is a small prototype, how about a 1:20.3 version?

Thank you
Norman

Doneldon

norman-

I wouldn't get my hopes up about this.  First, having a model in one scale doesn't translate into making the same loco in another scale a trivial matter; it is still a big, very expensive deal.  Second, you're talking about a specific loco in an expensive scale which is unlikely to be made at a price which would allow it to be easily attainable by a large number of modelers, even if there are enough persons who want that specific loco, which is doubtful.

You might do better to rework the 2-6-0.  It could be a fun and interesting challenge.  Whatever you do, good luck!

-- D

scottychaos

I converted an Indy into a Forney:

although I also regauged it, to 29n2 scale..(2 foot gauge in 1/29 scale)
and IMO its the regauged wheels that really go a long way to giving it the "Maine 2-foot forney look"..

but if the wheels had to kept "wide" out to 45mm, it would lose much of that "forney look"..
but still, I think the Indy could be converted into a somewhat decent forney..the extra-small boiler helps.
although I did do some "photoshop kitbashing" of the Indy into a Forney when I was messing around with the idea that eventually led to my model, and keeping the full-blown Indy running gear does result in a bit of an awkward forney, that doesnt really resemble anything from real-life forneydom..

(I will see if I can find my old photoshop 'bashes and post them here.)

the new Bachmann Fn3 SR&RL forney is about as good as its going to get IMO..
you cant make a better looking forney IMO!  ;D
they took the classic Maine 2-footer and simply converted it to 3-foot gauge..which IMO worked great.
I plan to buy one someday and perhaps convert it to Fn2 (32mm)..
(if the price ever becomes remotely reasonable on them..  :( )

the full story that led to my Indy bash:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/29n2/

I havent done anything new with 29n2 scale in awhile, but I do still plan to lay some
2-foot track alongside the 1/29 scale standard gauge track..eventually..
(my Garden railroad is just getting started)

Scot

norman

Hi Scott:

Your kitbash example is just what I wanted, but also an open cab peaked roof version. This size of model fits in with the 1:22.5 and 1:24 market. The present Bachmann Forney is strictly for the 1:20.3 market. As well the Indy-Forney hopefully would be in the price range of the present Indy which would present a very affordable model.

May I point out to Bachmann that one may purchase a 1:20.3 live steam all metal brass Forney for the SAME price as the Bachmann electric powered plastic model. That makes absolutely no sense.

Thank you
Norman

scottychaos

Ok, here is a "photoshop kitbash" I did of the Indy a few years ago:

I just took a photo of the Indy, cut and paste bits and pieces in photoshop, to see how it might look as a forney..
as I said, it really makes an unrealistic, rather gangly and not terribly pleasing forney..
mainly because the drivers are FAR too large in proportion to the boiler..

the Indy *can* be  made into a decent forney, but it really needs a new drivetrain to look "natural"..
as-is, its not so good for a forney..

Scot