williams 2-8-4 berkshire's pulling power

Started by bluerose lady, September 18, 2010, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerose lady

hello phillyreading...
I guess mine is the latest sd-45 (made in 2007) with the traction tires and last axle (blind) is plastic, the cab # 5622 santa fe.  it is good idea to wire  2 engines together for doubleheading. did i read you correct that the older ones have metal blind wheel on the last axle ?
the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany

3rail

Tiffany,

We did use metal blind wheels on this truck in the early production runs.  We found that we had some problems with them shorting on some switch tracks, so we changed to plastic to solve this problem.

Regards,

3rail

bluerose lady

Hello 3rail...

you are right, the metal blind wheels DOES short out on the lionel fastrack switches. i had lionel trainmaster that had metal blind wheels and it shorts out on the switches.  then i bought a williams sd-45 and it has the plastic blind wheels and its no longer a problem, i am glad they put plastic ones this time (smart move) I run my sd-45 on lionel fastrack switches no problems at all.  SMILE.   its too bad that you dont have a williams santa fe caboose as i been trying to find one and i gave up and bought a MTH railking santa fe caboose.  whats new for williams 2011?
Tiffany

phillyreading

Quote from: 3rail on September 21, 2010, 06:15:33 PM
Tiffany,

We did use metal blind wheels on this truck in the early production runs.  We found that we had some problems with them shorting on some switch tracks, so we changed to platsic to solve this problem.

Regards,

3rail

I have not had any problems with the three metal axles on my SD-45 and I am thinking of changing my newer SD-45's over to metal axles if I can get them or cut down some old F-7 wheels.
Apperantly Fastrac must be the only system to have a problem with the metal wheels.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

hello Phillyreading......

that is interesting, but with my fixed income i am stuck with fastrack.  what other trackage did you use that didnt have a problem with metal blind wheels shorting out ?  i was thinking of using tube type williams track and run the trains on the carpet as my husband and i live in 850 sq apt.

Tiffany

phillyreading

Tiffany,

I am using tubalar Lionel and Gargraves switches, mainly 042 with some 027 track for the upper level.
I tried using Fastrac but it got too expensive and it also got dirty too quick on the tops of the rails for me. Never had Fastrac switches, so I can't comment except to say the switches are super($100.00 a piece, $200.00 a pair) expensive!

Lee F.

3rail

Tiffany,

We made the change long before Fasttrak was on the market. I don't recall the specific reason.  With the expansion of the O Gauge track systems, many styles of turnouts have been made over the years.

For 2011, we will have our catalog out in February, so you will just have to wait and see.

Regards,

3rail

Joe Satnik

Tiff,

Don't be afraid to change track systems.  You'll recoup a lot of your money auctioning off your Fastrack on-line.   

I think Gargraves flex-track and switches are gorgeous, though they would have to be used in a more permanent setting/layout.

(Flex-track shaped to a curve needs to be attached to a surface to hold that curve.)

Hmm,... "Necessity is the mother of invention"..., Flex-track carpet anchors...., yeah, that's it,... it'll make me millions.....

Again, I have O-27 and O-gauge (O-31) Lionel (and competitors copies) tubular tinplate track.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bluerose lady

Hello Phillyreading......
I agree the fastrack switches the remote control ones are super expensive so i use the manuals which they are like 39 dollars a pop and still bit expensive.

Tiffany

bluerose lady

hello Joe Satnik.........

doesn't the tube type track wear grooves on the wheels of engines, ? i have seen some heavy wears on locomotive's wheels on evil-bay as they look like pulleys !!!!!  :o lol
Tiffany

Joe Satnik

Tiff,

Are you sure you're not looking at the grooves that the traction tires settle into?

(Broken/missing traction tire?)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bluerose lady

Hello Joe Satnik....

no, i dont think so because the engine was a postwar lionel 2321 FM, didnt use any traction tires back then i think....... :)
Tiffany

Joe Satnik

Dear Tiffany,

I've heard of 3rd rail pickup rollers having a groove wore in them, even cutting the rollers in half, but I didn't realize you could wear out the wheels.   

That Trainmaster must have had some big mileage with heavy loads put on it. 

I pretty sure the wheels can be replaced, though I'm not sure of the cost.   

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

bluerose lady

Hello Joe Satnik......
i guess so.......... i had grooves on the roller pick ups on my lionel 2383 back in 1974.......LOL. I wish i still had it.

Tiffany

r0gruth

Quote from: bluerose lady on September 25, 2010, 12:14:16 PM
hello Joe Satnik.........

doesn't the tube type track wear grooves on the wheels of engines, ? i have seen some heavy wears on locomotive's wheels on evil-bay as they look like pulleys !!!!!  :o lol
Tiffany

I think this is a story started by the makers of T-rail.

I have three Lionel locos from 1946-47 and none have grooves worn in the wheels.

There were some reports of Lionel Super O track with the very narrow center rail wearing into the pick-up rollers and slides.I have seen it on slides.
Roger