News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

When to add a booster

Started by jgaynor, September 18, 2010, 07:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgaynor

HI Guys
I have a MRC Prodigy Avanced2. At what point should I consider putting a booster on my layout. The Layout is a shelf layout that is in my son's room I couldn't give you a real measurement of the layout cause it has differnent size areas. My locos sputter in some area. So I'm wondering the best way to messuer the out put of the track and what should be coming out

thanks for the help

John
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

ABC

The size of the layout does not affect whether or not you need a booster. It is the number of locos (possibly with sound) you are running simultaneously and any accessories, turnouts, and lighting tapped into the track or system. If you are running more than 4 sound locos simultaneously then you will need a booster. If you are running only 1 or 2 locos then no booster is necessary.

JerryB

What ABC said in answer to your primary question.

As to the ". . . locos sputtering," that's very probably caused by dirty track or a poor connection between rail sections in the affected area.

Try cleaning the track by wiping the tops of the rails with a light solvent. Alcohol is a good rail cleaner, but there are nearly as many 'perfect' track cleaning agents as there are RR modelers.;)  Another suggestion is to wipe the track with Wahl Clipper Oil. Use the smallest amounts of the solvent and / or the oil, wiping them on, then wiping them off with a low lint towel. You might also need to clean the electrical pickup wheels on the locomotive. Same solvents, but applied with a Q-tip and / or a smaller cloth wipe.

Track connections can be checked with a voltmeter. You can buy an adequate one for ~$10 at places like Harbor Freight. Repair poor track connections by applying a pair of pliers to tighten the joiner. There can also be corrosion in the joint, requiring that the joiner be removed and a wire brush applied to restore electric continuity.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jgaynor

I don't think i'll have any problem with joints I soildered them all but I'll double check each section just to be sure. and I do have a few loco with sound and will be adding more I hope in the future, I am using E-Z track with DCC turnouts so looks like I will need to add a booster in the near future

thanks guys

ABC

jgaynor

well right now I have 4 Loco 2 W/sound 2 without

Santa Fe buff

I would say hold off on betting a booster until you notice a change in your locomotive's performance relating to power.

Even then, please consult us.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jward

i think the question of whether or not to add a booster depends on one bit of information you haven't given us yet. how many amps does your command station put out?

if it puts out a full 5 amps you should be ok. if it's less than that, you might run into problems eventually.

keep in mind that sound equipped locomotives draw more current than regular dcc locomotives, whether they are moving or not. this, not the dcc equipped switch motors, would be what i'd worry about.

there is a rahter simple and time tested solution, in common use since the early days of dc. simply add a few blocks, er, "power districts", on sidings that you park your locomotives when they are not in use. connect these sidings to your command station through simple on-off switches like the atlas connector. you can then turn off power to any locomotives you aren't using and lessen the power output you need considerably.

cost of a connector, under $10 and it will do three tracks. plus the minimal cost of a package of insulating rail joiners. total, about $13 for 3 sidings, around $22 for 6 sidings.....all in all much less than the cost of a booster.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

jg-

You might benefit from a couple more track feeders for the rails farthest from your current (no pun intended) connection points, if that's where your locos "sputter."  DCC likes lots of feeders because the materials we use for rail aren't great conductors in the first place and the joints add even more resistance.

-- D