tortoise wiring simultaneous turnouts

Started by Keusink, September 21, 2010, 02:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

Dear Folks
I am installing siding and crossover turnouts. Tortoise motors, dpdt control. If I want two turnouts to switch simultaneously, is there anything wrong with wiring both turnouts to the same toggle? Seems to me this would apply to both crossovers and sidings. Don't want one turnout to change without the mirror image doing the same.
Turnouts have a separate power source, not powered by the tracks.

Doneldon

Keusink-

No sweat.  The only thing you might experience is not enough power to switch both turnouts in a crossover simultaneously.  You can either do them singly (silly) or add a capacitative discharge system for them.  Some of those will let you line as many as 10 turnouts simultaneously, and be easier on the turnout motors to boot.  So, go for it!
                                                                                                                   -- D

poliss

Tortoise motors are of the stall current type and cannot be used with a CDU, (Capacitor Discharge Unit).

NarrowMinded

There's no problem with wiring the machines to the same switch so long as you use switches rated for the stall amperage combined with both switches. I run my tortoise machines at around 3v because I like the super slow motion.

On another note you may consider using one machine for both siding switches its fairly simple to do. I used some thin wire in a plastic tube  similar to that provide in the remote mounting kit for the tortoise machines to animate  a set of crossing gates but it would work the same. You can find these items in the Rc airplane section of your hobby shop.

Nm

Doneldon

Check this site out for OUTSTANDING circuits, in particular a capacitative discharge system for turnouts.  They even have a kit with a circuit board which they'll deliver within a week!

http://talkingelectronics.com/

D

poliss

Tortoise motors require continuous power to hold the blade against the stock rail. A capacitor discharge unit gives a momentary burst of power which is suitable only for solenoid motors.
For a full explanation of how the different types of point/turnout motors operate see Brian Lamberts website. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm#Point%20Motor%20Wiring.

Keusink

Thanks to everyone for replying. I have a followup to Donelson and anyone else who can advise. My LHS (200 miles away) instructed that I power my eleven turnouts using my old MRC power pack set at 12 volts. Donelson's reply that he likes 3 volts for performance and aesthetics makes me worry that twelve volts will somehow fry the tortoise motors? I had intended to wire the dpdts to a common busswire to the MRC, with turnouts on sidings and crossovers wired from both tortoises to the center prong of the dpdt.

I am a newbie, do know the references to "stall". Chris

Keusink

Whoops! I meant Narrowminded, not Doneldson's reply. My bad. Chris

jward

Quote from: poliss on September 22, 2010, 10:39:52 AM
Tortoise motors require continuous power to hold the blade against the stock rail. A capacitor discharge unit gives a momentary burst of power which is suitable only for solenoid motors.
For a full explanation of how the different types of point/turnout motors operate see Brian Lamberts website. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm#Point%20Motor%20Wiring.

this is an urban legend.

tortoise motors have enough resistance in the gearing that, properly adjusted, they will hold the points in place without having power on them. i did it for several years without a failure. to wire them this way, you'd use a set of pushbuttons or a momentary switch, a pair of diodes, and an AC power source. you hold the pushbutton down until the motor stalls, and it will stay after you release the button. this is a good way to lessen the overall power consumption of your layout.

as for using a capacitor discharge unit, what would be the point? capacitors require dc to hold a charge. discharge units are intended to power solenoids which require a quick burst of energy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Has anyone actually measured the stall current of a Tortoise machine?  I seem to recall about 50 milliamps, which would mean up to 20 machines on a 1 amp power supply, but I haven't measured one for years.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

I seem to remember seeing the stall rating in the instruction for the tortoise machines I think it is what Jim mentioned. I have never had the machine fail to hold a switch without power so long as the throw rod is adjusted correctly . I think the stall rating was based on 12v but check the instructions.

NM

poliss

Quote from the Tortoise manual, "As mentioned earlier, the motor in the TORTOISE is powered continuously and merely stalls out at the end of the throw." The stall current is stated in the manual as 15-16 ma.
http://www.amhobby.com/download/man-tortoise.pdf

Doneldon

Correct.  CapDis systems are not for stall switch machines, only the solenoid type.

I wasn't aware that Tortoise machines will stay in place without continuous current.  Good to know, though.

-- D