Hornhook couoplers - uncouplers

Started by faij, September 21, 2010, 01:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faij

How do you uncouple the cars othet than by hand???????

jgaynor

I know Hornby makes an unoupler for their line. I was thinking of getting one myself. other then that by hand is the only way unless Bachmann comes out with their own uncoupler
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Horn hook couplers? Reach in with a small object like a toothpick and push one hook away from the other. Or heck, just breath on them too hard.

Hook-and-loop, AKA tension-lock couplers (which I think is what you meant): An uncoupler ramp, or take a stiff paintbrush and use it to push up on the tabs at the bases of the hooks. If the hooks are metal, a magnet works too.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on September 21, 2010, 03:30:50 PM
Horn hook couplers? Reach in with a small object like a toothpick and push one hook away from the other. Or heck, just breath on them too hard.

Hook-and-loop, AKA tension-lock couplers (which I think is what you meant): An uncoupler ramp, or take a stiff paintbrush and use it to push up on the tabs at the bases of the hooks. If the hooks are metal, a magnet works too.

Well, the hooks are plastic for one thing.
Also, using a toothpick only releases one hook. The other is still hitched to the loop (rendering that useless).

I find the uncoupling to be a huge pain. At one point I used a small cut-up piece of cardboard to lift the hooks.  :( Gah! If only... ::)

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I said to use a toothpick for horn-hook couplers. ::) They're a couple of hooks squeezed to each other, so they can be pushed apart with a toothpick. As for hook and loop couplers, some of the kits I've seen have metal hooks. See also: What I said about using a stiff paintbrush. Alternatively, use something really small and lift up on the hooks where they join at the center.

RBMN #425 Fan

i found the easiest way is to lay one of the cars down
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

PerfectPercy

Quote from: RBMN #425 Fan on September 25, 2010, 08:36:59 AM
i found the easiest way is to lay one of the cars down

That's what I'm trying to avoid. You don't want to do something like that at an exhibition everytime a car needs to be uncoupled.

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on September 25, 2010, 03:49:10 AM
I said to use a toothpick for horn-hook couplers. ::) They're a couple of hooks squeezed to each other, so they can be pushed apart with a toothpick. As for hook and loop couplers, some of the kits I've seen have metal hooks. See also: What I said about using a stiff paintbrush. Alternatively, use something really small and lift up on the hooks where they join at the center.

I thought you said that for the hook n loops (my bad), but even so, I haven't noticed the hook n loops to be magnetic on Thomas models.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I didn't say they were. I just said I'd seen some kits with metal hooks. And hey, one can always adapt.

RBMN #425 Fan, the idea here is to do it without removing the train from the track.