News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So Sad

Started by Joe323, September 22, 2010, 09:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I had to take down my layout last night to make way for new carpet in the office.  2 1/2 years to build 45 minutes to demolish :(  Oh well in 2 weeks I'll start the process all over :)

jonathan

The silver lining is the great joy one experiences in planning and constructing a new layout.  :D 

Hope you were able to salvage all the little details that keep things economical and expedient. Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

Joe323

Quote from: Joe323 on September 22, 2010, 09:06:08 AM
I had to take down my layout last night to make way for new carpet in the office.  2 1/2 years to build 45 minutes to demolish :(  Oh well in 2 weeks I'll start the process all over :)

Quote from: jonathan on September 22, 2010, 09:42:15 AM
The silver lining is the great joy one experiences in planning and constructing a new layout.  :D 

Hope you were able to salvage all the little details that keep things economical and expedient. Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

Yes I was able to salvage quite a bit.  It will also give me a chance to rid myself of some early mistakes that just didn't work Steel track for one is going to be replaced with nickle silver.  I bubble wrap ed my rolling stock and and some of the buildings etc to be reused.  The bench work however will have to be re built

NMWTRR

Bitter sweet time when the old layout comes down and the new process begins again.

I am hoping to do it that process in different way.  I had to cut my layout in half length wise to move it out of the room for some for some new flooring (fortunately it is a small one).

However that provided an interesting concept where I keep one half and rebuild the other side.

So now I am in the design phase.

My plan is to build the new side next to the layout and then hopefully it will be take out the old and attach the new.  Can only do that because it is small, total size now 4ft by 7ft.

Some drawbacks as I am somewhat constrained by the old version.

Any way best of luck and a clean slate is a nice thing to really make those changes you have wanted to do all along.

napa15

I've got my "layout", which is a mock-up of the 4x8 Sodor Island layout The Bachmann created, on it's own 4x8 table with wheel casters so I can move it around. It's in the house in the "play room" so the kids can play whenever they want. I put it on wheel so I can move it for easier access and play with all sides of the layout. My favorite part is watching my son play with and experiencing his imagination. :)

Joe323

Quote from: napa15 on September 23, 2010, 01:03:18 PM
I've got my "layout", which is a mock-up of the 4x8 Sodor Island layout The Bachmann created, on it's own 4x8 table with wheel casters so I can move it around. It's in the house in the "play room" so the kids can play whenever they want. I put it on wheel so I can move it for easier access and play with all sides of the layout. My favorite part is watching my son play with and experiencing his imagination. :)

Interesting idea Since my layout will continue to be L shaped 6 x 7 x 3 x 4 the wheels might work.

rogertra

Quote from: Joe323 on September 22, 2010, 09:06:08 AM

My Great Eastern Railway  http://islandnet.com/~rogertra/  took ten years to build and came down April 14th, 2010.

So I can empathise.

jbsmith

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!  [also a cool little ditty by Monty Python]

You now have a Fresh Start and a Clean Slate to work with!
A great chance to apply lessons learned from the first.
You should have plenty of stuff from the first that can be recycled into the new, thus the old can still live on in a way.
If you live in Snow country, it is a great way to pass the long winter nights.
You can now freely try out things you wanted to try out on the old but did not want to dismantle to the old first, that is not a problem now! ;D
PICS!  got any of what you have in mind? That is always interesting.

Atlantic Central

Having built several layouts, and always ending up having to move at some point, I no longer build anything that cannot be moved.

My newest effort is now built in sections that allow disassembly and transport when needed.

Not portable mind you, just movable with out loosing all the work and money invested.

Sheldon

Joe323

Well one of the rewards of my current situation was I was able to clean house and sell off all the cheap toy train stuff at our garage sale today The trains were the first thing to go.  So now I'm down to just the good stuff.