Another request for a Spectrum HO 2-6-2 Ventura County No 2

Started by Steam is King, September 24, 2010, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam is King

Hello Mr. Bachmann,

I hope all is well. Once again I'm asking for Bachmann to produce a Spectrum HO Scale DCC/DCC Sound model of the Ventura County Railroad No 2 2-6-2, with headlight on the smoke box front variation. The industry is in desperate need of another small dual purpose freight/passenger engine and the 2-6-2 fits nicely.

Since the VC No 2 is still in operation it should be easy to acquire the details to build it. I will continue to knock, and knock and knock until you and Mr. Reilly get so sick of hearing me, that you'll make it. Please spare me the fight and really consider doing this engine. It is well worth it!

Thank you again so much!

ABC

If you have 250 grand sitting around you can commission one of the manufacturers to make you and your friends a lifetime supply of them. Until then you can make modifications to the standard line as necessary, or another manufacturer's.
Mantua makes a 2-6-2 pictured here (MSRP $100):

There is a Pennsy one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Mantua-2-6-2-locomotive-Pennsylvania-Prairie-306-20-/190446756821?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2c5782e3d5
It is currently at $25, they tend to sell for $25 to $35 plus about $10 shipping as can be seen here:http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Model-RR-Trains-/479/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=mantua+2-6-2+prairie&_trkparms=65%253A13%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_dmd=1&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Steam is King

Hey ABC,

I'm an old school model railroader. I love to kitbash and build my steamers raw. The Mantua 2-6-2 is woefully inadequate, even if you get the old cast boilers which are far easier to modify then the plastic boilers. I've noticed on the board that you tend to be a bit critical and harsh and that came across once again in your reply.

There is a demand for a good quality 2-6-2. It is desperately needed. Bachmann is one of the only manufacturer's that actually listen to their customers. I can testify personally as I was the first to ask for the modern 4-4-0, and there were many who followed and we received it.

I see no harm in asking Mr. Bachmann or Mr. Reilly. Repeats of old models are nice, but if you don't continue to grow, you'll die. That's the principle behind business. Yes, I totally understand the cost in die and tooling. But I know the demand is here for this model, even if it is generalized. I have the privilege to ask here. No one should abridge that privilege.

I appreciate your candor, but instead of knocking the request, join in. If you have nothing positive to say, just don't say it.

Thanks,

Manny

ABC

True, there is nothing wrong with asking, I am just being realistic. Bachmann does there best to appeal to as many customers as possible. They can't make everything, and you know they probably have got tons of request for everything imaginable. I am confident Bachmann will continue to manufacture a wide variety of models that will appeal to the greater majority of the customer base. Sometimes my comments do not come across as I anticipate, but generally speaking I am a not that bad of a guy once you get to know me. Some people that know me a little better and that I have interacted with more on this forum can attest to it. I sold a $50 Vanderbilt long tender to somebody for $10 plus threw in some freebies, most people wouldn't do that, but I knew he was a nice guy and was glad to help him out.

RBMN #425 Fan

i'd like to see that engine; along with #425, #2102, #972, AND A LOT of others.
but like the 3 i just mentioned,they only came in 1 roadname :'(
but if bachmann had a custom run line like roundhouse/athearn, we might see them
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

Doneldon

Steam is King, et. al.-

You just may have a point about the need for a quality 2-6-2.  I don't know if VC#2 is the one but the relatively high prices which brass 2-6-2s demand compared to larger locos makes me think there is a correlating relatively greater demand for the 2-6-2s. And, let's face it, the Bachmann 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2 is not a great model, in either appearance or operations.

Also, I just love Prairies, and to a lesser extent Mikes, so I'd love to see another 2-6-2 on my rails.

-- D

Steam is King

Quote from: Doneldon on September 27, 2010, 05:14:54 AM
Steam is King, et. al.-

You just may have a point about the need for a quality 2-6-2.  I don't know if VC#2 is the one but the relatively high prices which brass 2-6-2s demand compared to larger locos makes me think there is a correlating relatively greater demand for the 2-6-2s. And, let's face it, the Bachmann 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2 is not a great model, in either appearance or operations.

Also, I just love Prairies, and to a lesser extent Mikes, so I'd love to see another 2-6-2 on my rails.

-- D

Hey Doneldon,

That is the exact reason why I brought it up. The VC#2 is a Baldwin, which would fit right in with the Spectrum line already since the majority are Baldwin units. It's operational, functional and can easily be modified if that's your game. You are right on target about the market not having a 2-6-2 outside of brass. That's why I want to see Bachmann do it. They seem to be the only ones who step up to the plate. With the success of the 4-4-0 Modern, I'm sure they can see the 2-6-2 being a hit.

Pacific Northern

I support your request for the 2-6-2 Prairie steam locomotive in the Spectrum line. I would buy a couple immediately upon release. Same holds true for a 2-6-0 Mogul as well.

I am waiting for the Climax to hit the shelves, looking forward to acquiring another geared locomotive.

Do not be too hard on ABC, he means well. Just needs to mature and realize when his comments are not productive.  He certainly lives to post.
Pacific Northern

Steam is King

Bump to the top so Mr. Bachmann will reconsider this for the next Spectrum engine!!!!

santafe

If they're going to make a high quality 2-6-2, I think a good prototype would be a Santa Fe 2-6-2.  There's plenty of them surviving, so it would be easy to get details.

ForThemPanzerz

Forumfield

Doneldon

SF-

Yes, the ATSF 2-6-2s would be good prototypes. They are Baldwin locos and have a solid, healthy appearance, I think. The Santa Fe also had a large Prairie fleet, to the extent that any railroad had a lot of them. Prairies came on line at just the wrong time: between the fading of the short lines and the advent of big steam and super steam. Their versatility and wide use during such a short window in time, and if only in modest numbers, demonstrates to me just what a good idea they were. And they looked like the real thing. That's what I like most about them. Well, besides the fact that my first locomotive all those long years ago, was a Lionel Lines Prairie.
                                              -- D

Pacific Northern

I grew tired of waiting for a Spectrum 2-6-2 and bought a brass Baldwin ATSF 2-6-2, w

Comparing it to a URSA light pacific it looks like the little brother, What a noticable family resemblance. I also bought a couple brass URSA light pacifics as well.

It is actually a good time to buy brass. There is lots to choose from (note: a a few vendors are asking outrageous prices and of course are not selling their items)

With the older brass open frame motors a magnet replacement is recommended. Replacing the old one piece magnets with new 4 piece super or rare earth magnets or replace the old open frame motor with a can motor.

The detail level on the old brass locomotives is very good. Most models have all wheel pickup so adding DCC and/or sound is not that difficult.
Pacific Northern