News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

caboose question.

Started by alex wittman, September 25, 2010, 02:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex wittman

hello, anyone that does not know who I am, I'm alex and I've been modelrailroading since I was ten years of age. anyway I have a classic UNION PACIFIC R.R bobber caboose and since my grandpa gave it to me when I was 12 or 13 years, it had quite of play, tried converting it to thomas and friends range but that didn't work and today I'm converting it to at Tside shed, but Istill want the weathered body( plus I love the classics) is it possible to buy a Silver-Series bobber and place that underframe to the U.P.R.R shell?

thank you very much.

Doneldon

alex-

Anything can be made to fit. The question is, how can I accomplish my goal most economically in terms of both money and time. That being the case, take your old way car shell to a LHS and see what they have that fits, if anything. Since you won't be running it you don't need to worry about things like trucks and couplers so you'll have lots of degrees of freedom in doing the adaptation.  If nothing looks good, build a foundation with stripwood or styrene concrete block material and you'll be in great shape. In any event, do what you can accomplish most easily and effectively.

By the way, I like your loyalty to the memory of your grandfather.
                                                                                                                                 -- D

richg

I am assuning the old UPRR caboose is a Bachmann.

I did a quick search for Silver-Series bobber and fund they are available for about $15.00 from on line companies
Might be worth while to try.

Rich

alex wittman

thanks guys, and of course it's bachmann, maybe a 1990's model, anyway I only need the undecorated caboose to weather and place as a lawn ornament(on my HO scale Layout) to mark the true model railroaders home. thanks again

richg

Quote from: alex wittman on September 27, 2010, 07:08:51 PM
thanks guys, and of course it's bachmann, maybe a 1990's model, anyway I only need the undecorated caboose to weather and place as a lawn ornament(on my HO scale Layout) to mark the true model railroaders home. thanks again

http://www.modeltrainhobbyist.com/bac18447.html

A spray bomb and you can color it easily.

Rich

jbsmith

Q: is it possible to buy a Silver-Series bobber and place that underframe to the U.P.R.R shell?

A: Yes.
The Bobber moulds [or tooling] has not changed all that much if at all in the last few decades.
I found that if i take a a Small precision screwdriver near the door it is possible to remove the shell.
Just fit the screwdiver by the door and floor/frame and pry.
The shell is attached by small drops of glue at the corners.
Found this out when i "glazed" the windows with some clear plastic.
There is just something about windows without "glass" i just can't abide.  Unless the crew enjoys being windblasted or something.

alex wittman

thats the truth, but when you say "pry- apart" you mean that there are little plastic latches on each side of the caboose or little slits in the front and back?

jbsmith

No latches or tabs, the shell and the frame are held together by small drops of glue.
It is a fine balance of being firm but gentle at the same time.
It has been  a few months since i did it,,but i recall there is just enough give to get the screwdriver blade in between
the shell and frame.
Try it with the Smallest driver first,,be stubborn, persistant and most of all patient. Go slowly and methodically.
It Can Be Done without damaging the unit.