hooking up bachmann spectrum tenders with old mantua locos to convert to dcc

Started by ktmcna, May 29, 2007, 06:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktmcna

my first time, be gentle with me.  i previously hooked up a spectrum vandy tender with an old mantua and (surprise) i got dcc performance.  the vandy tender had a female connector, i (somewhere) found a male , wired it to the loco, it worked.  i now bought a spectrum hicken style tneder to try to rescue an old mantua mikado (whether it is prototypical or not).  the hicken tender has mail connectors.  does bachmann sell the connectors, and if so, are they pre wired (some sort of short leads to work with anyway).  i checked the loco / tender drawings, am talking about parts #H89902, and conne- 10168, 10169, 10182, 10183.  point is i'm looking for some way to be able to seperate loco from tender later without having to cut wiring.

jsmvmd

Dear Kit,

Good question, and serendipitous since I will be getting a Mantua HO Berkshire in a similar state, sans decoder. Anxiously awaiting the replies since I will probably do similar.

Best Wishes,

Jack

SteamGene

Are the Mantua motors isolated from the frame?  I didn't think they were.  Check a good computer store for the plugs.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ktmcna

SteamGene

I know one can isolate the motor.  That's not the question.  The comments imply that the motor is already isolated.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

There are many versions of Mantua engines. The last reincarnation, before they were taken over by Model Power, had can motors.

jsmvmd

Dear Kit,

To get to your question, are you thinking about wiring quick connectors to the engine and tender?  If so, many persons here have discussed this, I believe.  Perhaps someone can fill us in.

Best Wishes,

Jack