News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Using EZ track only?

Started by tford, September 28, 2010, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tford

I am in the process of designing a new layout on a 6'x12' table using ez-track only. It appears that the largest radius sold in bulk is 22"; my question is will 22" work for "most" Spectrum loco's. I am planning on modeling the 1950's to 60's? I really don't want to buy track 5 pieces at a time.

ABC

Yeah 22" is the largest bulk track for E-Z track. The only Bachmann locos that may give you trouble on 22" radius would be the 4-8-4, 2-10-4, 4-8-2, 2-8-4 and DD40AX. But most of the aforementioned will run fine the 1 of biggest concern is the 4-8-4, some of which may not run well on 22" radius. I strongly urge you to use the largest radius possible though because 22" radius is limiting in cars over 75 feet long will have issues and almost all full length passenger cars will have issues. For example the Rapido passenger cars run in "stock, unmodified" condition require 28" radius. Many 89 foot auto carriers and box cars require 26 inch radius for smooth running. With 28" radius you can run almost anything, and you will not have any overhang issues.

Ken S.

I use 22" and have no problems with my full-length passenger cars. But, I did install Kadee #46 couplers on the Walthers Heritage Fleet cars since I use them for just about anything from LD Trains to Corridor Trains to a Late 1990s version of the Adirondack.

ABC

Note that I did not say all, I said almost. The exception would be some Bachmann, IHC/AHM/Rivarossi. Also many need to be modified by trimming detail parts or adding long shank couplers.

jonathan

As stated above, results may vary.  However, my 2-8-4 and 4-8-2's will run on 22" radius track, and looks acceptable to me.  I wouldn't plan on any large brass locos or 85' cars.  There is more than enough equipment out there for 22" radius track.  You won't be restricted enough to be concerned. 

Enjoy the build!

Regards,

Jonathan

tford

Thanks for the feed back. I don't plan on running anything modern so I thought I would be alright with 22" Thanks again

Doneldon

tford-

I urge you to consider broadening at least your mainline curves.  You've got plenty of room and things will work better and look much better if you go to 24" or 26" curves. 
                                                                                                                                 -- D

bobparki

I have a 5'X9' and use ez track 18", 22", 26", and 28".  The benefit of the 26" and 28" means I can run most anything.  And I do.  Don't let the 5 at a time become an issue as the benefit over max 22" will increase your enjoyment of many more types of locos and rolling stock that will run much better on the larger radius track. Just my two cents.