News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quick newbie question

Started by DrGonzo, November 23, 2010, 12:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGonzo

Semi-newbie here,

Just received my o-gauge J Class 4-8-4 (Item Number: 40306) today and wanted to test her out to make sure everything was in order. I hooked up a Lionel CW-80 transformer to a section of FastTrack but to my surprise the train would only move in a forward direction. I've tried everything I can think of, I've pressed the direction button for varying lengths of time etc. As long as the locomotive is on the track alone, it will only move forward.

The kicker is, as soon as I place my other Williams/Bachmann locomotive on the same rail, it will cycle to reverse normally.

I don't think this is supposed to be normal behavior and I am slightly confused to say the least- sorry if this is a common problem / I'm an idiot, but help please?

Also, is the headlamp supposed to be as dim as it is [read: pretty dim]... the one on my 773 Hudson? is bright as can be?

Thanks in advance-

DominicMazoch

The CW-80's and some engines just don't mix....

W/WBB diesels have lower power requirements than others, so you don't have to put as much voltage on the track to get them to move.  Hence lights are dimmer.

I have not had a W/WBB steamer, so I don't know if the above translates to the other type of power.

Joe Satnik

Dear Doc,

Read 3rail's response below.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Removed inaccurate post.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

DrGonzo,

The CW80 design has a voltage leak which does not allow the reverse board to cycle because the track voltage does not go completely to zero.  If you add a lighted car to the train (passenger car or caboose) the problem should go away.  The reason it works on the diesels is that the bulbs absorb the voltage leak.  On the steam loco they use a constant voltage light circuit which isolates the bulb from the track.  None of the steam locos use a 53 bulb.  They use either a 6 volt grain of wheat or 6 volt bayonet style..

Regards,

3rail