News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which is better 2 stay with?

Started by Kris Everett, October 01, 2010, 03:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris Everett

Which is better to stay with? im going to buy a dynamis system and i wanted to know which wold be better to go with. i have some analogue crossovers and switches that i am thinking about exchanging for dcc controlled one so i only have to use the controller. if someone else has allready posted this please let me know ;D.
Also is their any programs to send my crossovers and switches back to get some money back so it brings down the cost of the Dcc ones?

Please let me know

Kris  :o

Joe323

Sometimes vendors at train shows buy and resell old equiptment.

Kris Everett

ok ill check it out sometime. which page are the dynamis system on in 2010 cat. i can find them for some reason i must be blind  :P 

ABC

You are basically out of luck because you will only be able to recoup about 25% of what you originally paid. Maybe try a garage/yard sale or ebay (but then ebay collects its share).

Kris Everett

i was thinkin about that. what about which is better to go with do i stay with what i have or do i change over to DCC and take the loss.

pipefitter

Quote from: Kris Everett on October 01, 2010, 03:24:27 PM
ok ill check it out sometime. which page are the dynamis system on in 2010 cat. i can find them for some reason i must be blind  :P

pages 30 - 31
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Kris Everett

thank you i skiped right over them. "Blind In One Eye Can't See Out The Other"  ??? :P ??? :P ??? :P ??? :P

NarrowMinded

You can control existing switches with dcc you just have to buy the decoders for switches

Nm

Kris Everett

i know that but which would be cheaper in the long run. which is more reliable.

Jim Banner

It would be cheaper in the short run AND the long run to stick with your non-DCC turnouts.  One nice thing about regular turnouts is that you can use low cost push buttons mounted on a panel that shows a diagram of you tracks.  This way there is no need to memorize which number operates which turnout which is something you have to do with both regular turnout controls and with DCC turnout control.  With the panel, all you have to do is associate a turnout on the track diagram with a turnout on the table.  This is easy, even for someone who has never run your layout before.

At first, using a fixed-in-place panel might seem to offset a lot of the advantages of having wireless walkaround control.  But it does not have to.  Regular, dual solenoid switch motors can be controlled from multiple locations.  All you have to do is add another pair of push buttons for it on a different panel.  In practice, this is rarely required.  On my own layout, for example, a turnout control panel can control all the turnouts in a yard.  But in some places, it is convenient to control some of those turnouts from the other side of the table.  So the pertinent part of the track diagram of the yard is repeated on the other side of the table, along with a second set of push buttons for each of those turnouts.  For mainline turnouts between towns and for the simple yards in a couple of towns, I have even eliminated the panels completely by simply mounting the turnout controls on the fascia of the table directly in line with the turnouts they control.

Below is a photograph of the turnout control panel for the town of Lianda on my H0 layout.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Kris Everett

OK i have decided to stay with the analogue turn outs. so my next question is how do i go about transferring from the controllers that come with the turn outs to the push button method that Jim has. im baffled at that part. thx for the help.

Kris Everett

jim can u take a pic of the back of that board so i can see how u wired it

much thanks

kris