News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement Chassis for a Set 90015

Started by taberski, October 18, 2020, 08:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taberski

Back in 1992, I purchased a "Christmas Train" for our then 2 year-old son - an RGS "Big" Hauler set #90015.   Over the years we replaced the track with LGB and added a siding, a spur track, a number of additional cars and another son.  They both looked forward to setting it up all each Christmas - their job being to clean all the track.

Fast forward a few years - we now have a grandson.  Last year we set-up and ran the train, but it clearly needs some TLC.

I determined that ordering a new chassis is the way to go and had found this site last January.  I had hoped to order an Anniversary chassis because of the more detailed side-rods and placed a Notification on the page.  As I hadn't heard anything and Christmas is fast approaching, I thought I'd better re-research this.

I seems that the chassis of-choice would be a Series 6 chassis and is no longer available.  The Series 5 Anniversary chassis that are available are not correct matches for our RGS locomotive, so I thought I would just get a Series 5 "Standard" Chassis.

My question is, would the 90098 be the correct choice for us?

I reviewed Loco Bill's "Bachmann Steam Locomotives" post and it doesn't seem to go back quite far enough.  Based on post "Repairs to the Bachmann Standard line Big Hauler 4-6-0, and Anniversary 4-6-0", I believe we have a Version 2 Chassis.

Thank you,

Kevin Taberski

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Kevin, 

If time is not on your side Bachmann made a version 5 D&RG Bumble Bee, RGS often leased DRGW locomotives so it would not be a stretch to get one.

Here is one on EBAY with a version 5 chassis: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_623&products_id=4083

If you want to go with the chassis replacement the options are either the Anniversary 4-6-0  https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_623&products_id=4083  or the Standard Line 4-6-0 https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_671_669&products_id=5863

Looking at the Anniversary version the steam chests are painted green not the black on yours.  so you could easily paint over the green.  This chassis comes only with the direction switch and does not include the smoke switch or wiring so you would have to salvage the one off your old locomotive..

Looking at the Standard version it appears you would also have to salvage the smoke switch off your old locomotive.  You would also need to use your old pilot on the new chassis.

You will need to decide if the work of chassis placement is for you and which of the chassis to buy.  If so I wouls suggest you use the instructions in my Repairs" post.

Most of all enjoy playing trains with your son and grandson!!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

taberski

Bill,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I guess I didn't appreciate being able to utilize my existing smoke switch.  It's been awhile since I disassembled this locomotive, but it makes sense that I can reuse what I have.

Thanks again,

-Kevin