News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

big haulers contractor collection

Started by dittydi, October 02, 2010, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dittydi

Wondering if anyone has info on Bachmann Big Haulers Contractors Collection Series No. 3 for Weil-McLain. Maybe year they came out and approximate value of the set? Any information appreciated. Thanks!

Loco Bill

Here you go!

Bachmann made this special set fo rWeil-Mclain Boiler Company, an Indiana boiler company.  they were purchased by Weil -Mclain to use as givaways to their distributors and wholesalers.  They were never sold in retail stores.  The loco in the set is the Version 1 Radio Controlled Big Hauler locomotive with batteries in the bioler, the WM boxcar and the Santa Fe Bobber caboose.  A WM company source told me they were purchased in two batches. the first being in 1990 or 1991.  The second batch was the same as the first with the exception of the caboose. IN the second batch the caboose was lettered with the word Blackman in big block letters on the side.  Blackmann was a wholesaler of plumbing supplies and also used the sets as givaways to their dealers. 

The WM Boxcar and Blackman Caboose were never available as seperate items and only available with the sets.  I do not know for sure but I believe there are no more than 1000 pieces of the Boxcar and less for  the Blackman caboose.

Although the box was marked with the words: Contractors Collector
Series Set No 3, there has never been a set 1 or 2.  The set and special cars were never in the catalog.   

I have seen these set go for as little as $85 and as high as $210 on Ebay.  I have not looked lately, but prices seem to be down on average on Ebay.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

thehnw1223

Quote from: Loco Bill on October 08, 2010, 10:21:34 PM
Although the box was marked with the words: Contractors Collector
Series Set No 3, there has never been a set 1 or 2.

(I know this thread is over 10 years old, please pardon this very late message)

Actually there has been a set 1 and 2, just not from Bachmann Trains. My father used to work for Weil-McLain Boilers back in the late 1990s/early 2000s and upon his discovery of the Contractor Collector Series from Weil-McLain, he pretty much bought every single one. Sets 1 and 2 happen to be a small collection of early 20th century trucks made by Ertl, (as far as I know we only have set 2). Of course set 3 is the Bachmann Big Haulers set with an RC Baldwin 4-6-0, boxcar and bobber caboose (I have the first rendition from 1990-1991, it still runs!), set 4 is a collection of 1930s and 1940s trucks with Weil-McLain logos (Ertl; yes, we have this one too), I don't know what sets 5-7 were, but we have set 8 (Ertl;a 1960 and 1940 truck with a boiler load), set 9 (Ertl; 1954 GMC tractor trailer), and finally set 10 (Racing Champions; a 2003? Chevy pickup and a 1970s sports car)

We might actually have more sets than what I have currently listed, I will try to update my findings here if I'm lucky.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi thehnw1223 ,

I was told by the company source about the other givaways, specifically Sets 1 & 2.  What I was trying to convey was that Bachmann never made a Contractor Collectors set 1 or set 2.  I guess I failed to be clear.  I did not know about  all the other sets from WM. Thanks for the interesting post!!!

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!