News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C-16 2-8-0

Started by trainguy111, August 25, 2010, 09:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainguy111

Bachmann should make the D&RGW C-16 2-8-0, preferably the 268 in its bumble bee paint sceme. This is due to the fact that Accucraft's models are expensive and hard to find.

Kevin Strong

A few flaws in that plan. First, look at the MSRP of Bachmann's recent locos. They're all pushing into the 4-figure mark. Granted that's MSRP and not street price, but still, you can expect the MSRP of a 2-8-0 to be around $1,500. The Accucraft locos are going for just a few hundred more than that, so there's not quite the price difference that would capture more of the market the way there was with the K-27, whose MSRP was $2,000 less than Accucraft's--to say nothing of street price.

The second flaw, Aristo's plastic C-16. Yes, it's a whole lot smaller than a proper 1:20.3 2-8-0, but remember that many garden railroaders don't care about scale. That's a similar rationale to what's been put forward as to why Bachmann hasn't given us their On30 mogul in 1:20.3, because it's too close to LGB's mogul.

I agree wholeheartedly--a proper plastic 1:20.3 2-8-0 would be great. I'd personally rather something a bit larger like the C-19, which had variations running on a number of narrow gauge lines in the east and west.

Later,

K

Barry BBT

I build and sell many 2-8-0's which is my conversion to the Annie and when in the BumbleBee livery it becomes the Poor Man's C-16.  The drive has brass and stainless C-16 wheels, all magnesium bronze siderods and the Annie's own mainrods and valve gear un-altered.  Ball bearing Pittman Motor, stainless steel axles and ball bearings on the load bearing axles and the drive counter shaft.

Warranted for the rest of my life.  This includes every product ever produced for the past 16 or 17 years.

Want a pic, send me an email: barrystigtrains@earthlink.net

623-936-6088

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

russm

You give me renewed interest in a 4-6-0!  I love my Bachmann 2-8-0 (after fixing cracked drive gear with a delrin from NWSL).  When I pick up a cheap 4-6-0 I will convert to a BBT drive to run "forever".

Barry BBT

Russ,

Send me an email and I'll send you a pic of the 2-8-0 BumbleBee.  This particular one is Steve Stockhams, but the same as my demo unit and several others.  The running is beautiful.

Barry - BBT

russm

Barry, I IMed you with my email.  I'm still keeping my eye out for a cheap 4-6-0 to convert.

Barry BBT

Russ,

Sent the pics last night, questions, comments?

Barry - BBT

russm

The pics look very nice.  Does the drive train come with all the side rods and valve gear?  Beautiful engine!

Barry BBT

When the conversion is on an Annie (10th Anniv.) model, it has the walschearts valve gear and I supply the hinged side rod to match.

I will buy the Annie 4-6-0 siderods and wheels.

If you are going this far the 10th Anniv. is worth the bit more.  The details are terrific.

Barry - BBT