Suggestion to Bachmann for modifications to Shay w/Tsunami

Started by digitalgriffin, October 04, 2010, 02:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalgriffin

Sorry if this isn't an appropriate place but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I read several people were having issues with their HO Shay Tsunami's overheating and in some cases, burning out.  (Especially when pulling a decent load)  Not a lot mind you.  But enough to warrant concern.

If I may be so bold, for your next revision Bachmann, I would recommend you guys use this stuff to secure the decoder to the metal shell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100013&cm_re=artic_silver_thermal-_-35-100-013-_-Product

It's the same stuff used to secure ram sinks to memory chips on video cards and is non conductive.  It has the same thermal transfer rate of thermal grease but will hold the decoder in place.

It takes about 3 minutes to apply and set, useable in 30 minutes, and is fully cured over 100 hours.

richg

Yeah, I have used that stuff for many years with power transistors and voltage regulators.
I would be curious to see the Internet links you have on this issue.
I belong to some DCC groups.
I have never found, "They say" or "I heard".

I do know the SoundTraxx Micro-Tsunami you install yourself has heating issues. I have experienced them but it was only over heating and the decoder started to work after it cooled down.

Rich

richg

Right now, I am doing some searching and so far this seems to be related to those who install a Micro Tsunami in the Shay. The Micro is small but only 0.75 amps max.

I found a link at Tony's Trains concerning this issue on how to install a heat sink with the Micro you install yourself in the Shay.

So far nothing about the factory installed sound decoder over heating but I will continue looking.

Rich

ABC

This issue is isolated to aftermarket installations of micro-tsunami decoders and does not involve the Bachmann OEM Tsunami decoders.

richg

Quote from: ABC on October 04, 2010, 03:57:37 PM
This issue is isolated to aftermarket installations of micro-tsunami decoders and does not involve the Bachmann OEM Tsunami decoders.

Yeah, that is what I have found out.

"They Say" and "I Heard". are usually two groups that cannot be found.

Assumptions, does this also.

Sometimes, rumors start like this when the issue is not searched out thoroughly.

Hopefully this will nip this rumor.

Rich

digitalgriffin

It's entirely possible I made a mistake.  If that is the case I owe Bachmann a big apology.

Has anybody ever taken the shell off a factory installed Shay with Tsunami?  Do we have any pics of how it's setup on the inside?

richg

Do a Google search for bachmann shay ddc install. The pictures are out there of some installs.
This way you can compare the different installs. Some sound, some none sound.
Store the links you like.
Don't forget, the Micro is about $110 and add the cost of the speaker, plus your time to do the install. It is not plug and play.

The below link would probably take sometime to find so I will include it in case you ever decide on a sound install you can do yourself.

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2010/031310.htm

Right now the unlettered Shay with factory Tsunami is $231.95. OIl bunker or coal bunker.

It might pay to get a extra set of gears in case the gears crack on your model.
No idea if the Shays available right now have better gears.

Rich

hotrainlover

I used Velcro to attach my Micro-tsunami to the shell during my install.  I have not had any over heating issues.  This also allowed me to reposition the decoder for a proper fit.