Need DCC Wiring Connections for 2-6-0 Mining Mogul

Started by bdelmo, October 04, 2010, 12:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdelmo

I need DCC Wiring Connections for Bachmann Big Hauler 1:20.3 Large Scale Baldwin Industrial 2-6-0 Mogul Item no. 81699 painted, unlettered.  I received a DC wiring connection, but it is difficult to follow for converting it to DCC without any wire diagram.

jpipkin

I may be wrong, but I don't think that locomotive was "DCC Ready."  I added DCC to one a few years ago and ended up bypassing the boards and hard wiring the decoder to the motor, lights, etc.

Jim

Udo

Hello all,
that engine is not DCC ready. I removed all installed electronics including the sound unit on mine.
I also removed the smoke unit and replaced it by an LGB one. So I had space in the boiler to add some 300gr. weight.
I also made some new connections from the tender to the engine (power pick up, lights, smoke, motor) and installed an ESU Loksound XL in the tender.
Now the machine runs very well and sounds also very good.
Udo

bdelmo

Udo,

I had a major disassemby getting to the motor wiring for installing a Lenz decoder 4024 in my Bachmann 4-6-0 Anniversary and am hoping to avoid repeating this difficulty with my 2-6-0 Industrial/Mining mogul.  It was relatively easy installing a Soundtraxx sound board once the decoder was installed. 

How difficult was the disassemply to remove all the electronicsf for your 2-6-0 Indie?  Did you reach the PCB in the boiler without removing the motor box and side rods for wheels for accessing the wiring to the motor? 

Did you take any pictures that you would share with me here?

Bryan

Quote from: Udo on October 06, 2010, 02:18:42 AM
Hello all,
that engine is not DCC ready. I removed all installed electronics including the sound unit on mine.
I also removed the smoke unit and replaced it by an LGB one. So I had space in the boiler to add some 300gr. weight.
I also made some new connections from the tender to the engine (power pick up, lights, smoke, motor) and installed an ESU Loksound XL in the tender.
Now the machine runs very well and sounds also very good.
Udo

Udo

Hello Bryan,
first, sorry, I did not make any pictures.
My habit with Bachmann Locos is, to disassemble them nearly complete before operation.
The reason for that is, that I often had some parts, which were not assembled correctly or some bolts not tightened.
So in this case, it was no problem for me to access all necessary points. As I told, I have also made a new wire connection with plugs to the tender, for light, steam, cab light and I also added a firebox flicker.
Now all electronics are in the tender, the loco only has only "end users".
It is a little bit difficult in the tiny boiler to make the wiring. In the end I made the wires long enough, to make the final connections in the front of the boiler and push them in through the smoke box back to the boiler.
The additional weight, I pushed in also that way. Because I use an LGB smoke unit, which is in the stack, I have enough place to do so.
The weight I used is lead "tape", which I put in a plastic tube to isolate it to avoid any possible electric shortcut.
So, I think, to make a proper change to DCC, there is no way around the complete disassembly.

Good luck,

Udo

bdelmo

Udo,

Thank you for the reply back.  Yes, I will plan on a complete disassembly, as I did for my Bachmann Big Hauler Anniversary 4-6-0, for DDC installation.

Bryan