News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track cleaner

Started by slack, October 06, 2010, 08:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slack

Hello, Can anyone advise on a good track cleaner (other than the brightboy) that you pull behind an engine. I model in On30 so HO scale would be fine.
Thanks

richg

Our club has been using two John Allen track cleaners for some years. Sometimes we use #2000 abrasive paper and vacuum up the residue before running anything. We also use a little alcohol on a lint free rag.

http://wpporter.duckburg.us/trackcleaner.htm

Rich

ABC

IHC has a track cleaning caboose that was $7.50 when I got it about 15 years ago. You may still be able to find some online. What i do is run the IHC with track cleaning fluid and the Walthers cars dry behind it.

CNE Runner

As Richg mentioned, the John Allen track cleaner is effective and very easy to make (all you will need is a box car, a piece of Masonite, and two small nails). This type of car is also available from several manufacturers. I should mention that these devices work best when included in your consists and used frequently. They usually fall short in siding/yard situations because the 'cleaner car' cannot effectively clean the entire siding due to the nature of its construction.

Probably the best combination is a 'John Allen dry type car' followed by a solvent dispensing car. Alternately one can use a Bright Boy pad (moved via the reliable 0-5-0 switcher); then a quick wipe with an alcohol-soaked cloth (toweling usually doesn't work well as it tends to 'catch' on turnout points - leaving behind small pieces of toweling). BTW: This is the method used on the Monks' Island Railway...and has been on other projects in the past.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I have four of the Walther's track cleaning cars.   The nice thing about those cars is that you can get replacement skidder pads when you need them.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

mabloodhound

As you indicate, do not use anything abrasive on the track.   It will leave micro scratches that collect debris, etc.
Once the track is clean, use graphite to coat the rails.   A #2 carpenters pencil works great, just rub it on the rails.   You won't have to clean again and you'll have excellent running.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

richg

Quote from: mabloodhound on October 07, 2010, 10:35:37 AM
As you indicate, do not use anything abrasive on the track.   It will leave micro scratches that collect debris, etc.
Once the track is clean, use graphite to coat the rails.   A #2 carpenters pencil works great, just rub it on the rails.   You won't have to clean again and you'll have excellent running.

I you have done this, please give us more details. Thanks. How long does this last?

Rich

jward

i like the roller type track cleaning cars like the ones made by centerline. i use a homemade track cleaning car based on the centerline car, but with two rollers. i put solvent (usually goo gone) on one roller and run the other roller dry. both rollers are covered with cloth.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

The 'Road Superintendant' and I are on a visit to New York State and have been visiting the numerous hobby shops that are sadly missing in Alabama. Yesterday, we were treated to a demonstration of the Atlas Track Cleaning car. If I heard correctly, this car utilizes a 5-step cleaning process. This jewel will not only clean and polish the railheads; but will dispense a cleaning fluid AND vacuum up the roadbed!

I stood in amazment at how well the car cleaned. The vacuuming function worked extremely well. If I understood the 'sales pitch' correctly, the car is DC; but can be easily converted to DCC (excellent instructions are included for this conversion). My wife and I found two 'impediments' to an immediate purchase: 1) the car is decidedly European in look which may not fit in with the rest of your rolling stock, and 2) it was VERY pricey. I will do a quick Internet search and get a price ('will add at the bottom of this post.

Something to consider...
Ray

According to Nextag.com the price ranges from $99 to $110.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

I've read numerous times; there are as many methods for cleaning track as there are model railroaders.

My own current method is based on economy. 

Ray pointed out that track cleaning cars can be very expensive.  I've tried one of the less expensive models (liquid soaked pads) which worked only marginally.  Perhaps the three-figure models are great.  I don't know.

When the build up is bad, I go back to the tried-and-true bright boy.  You don't have to put much pressure on the rails to get them 'bright' again.  Light pressure should prevent scratching the railheads.  Bright boys, and their facsimiles can be had pretty cheap.

I follow that up with t-shirt strips soaked in alcohol.  That gets the mystery black stuff that remains.  Lastly, I add a couple of drops of conductalube on the rails and push it around with a train.  The oil prevents corrosion actually quiets the wheels-on-rails sound a bit.  A bottle of conductalube can be a little pricey, but one small bottle will last for years.

I do this perhaps three times a year.  However, I'm always dry-wiping the rails when I operate (t-shirt).  That's just part of normal operations on my railroad.

Regards,

Jonathan